1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC Maximum Power Transfer question

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the circuit attached the load impedance ZL comprises a resistor in parallel with a capacitor. Determine the value of the resistor and the capacitor to ensure that the maximum power is received by the load impedance.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So,if components in ZL were in series i would say that the series impedance must be equal with the conjugate of ZL take real parts and imaginary parts seperately and easily find the solutions.I think so,so correct me if I am wrong. But now I dont know what to do. I thougt that i could find the current through ZL and then the Voltage so resistor and capacitor would have same voltage across them,but with the current through each of them being different and unknown how I could calculate them?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are on the right track that the complex impedance of Zl has to be the complex conjugate of the source impedance (the series R & L). What is the value of Zs? And write the impedance of a parallel RC circuit for Zl. Can you then match up components in a conjugate fashion?

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    Value of Zs should be 20 + jωL which comes up to be 20+10j so the impedance of ZL must be 20 -10j right? Is it correct to assume that this must be equal to the parallel combination, eg. ZcZR/Zc+Zr? I am a bit confused!!

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's correct. No need for confusion!

So now just do the substitutions into your last equation and simplify it into the form a+bi and equate...

6. Jan 12, 2012 #5
    yeah I can see it now..Thanks a lot !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook