AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet

In summary, the electrical problems I continue to encounter for my video installations can be resolved by using an audio signal from a home audio receiver to open and close a small electromagnetic valve. If 30 AC volts provide enough power for the electromagnet, connecting the speaker wire directly to the electromagnet would be sufficient.
nbontra
I've posted on here a few times concerning the electrical problems I continue to encounter for my video installations.

And yet, here's another one.

If anyone remembers, I posted a month back or so concerning the use of an audio signal from a home audio receiver to open and close a small electromagnetic valve. I tried a few methods and was unsuccessful, but after blowing the fuse in my multimeter I'm back at it again.

I threw the receiver on Phono, and started up my LP of Led Zeppelin I. Metering the the speaker wire on the ACV setting, I believe Robert Plant managed to get around 30 volts before my mom demanded to know "Just what I thought I was doing". The receiver I'm using still had about 10 percent more until maximum volume, so I'm pretty confident I could get around 40 volts. I think it was the loudest I've had my speakers, and boy did it sound good.

So, my question is this: Can 30 AC volts provide enough power for an electromagnet? From what I've read up on, it's largely dependent upon how many/how tightly wrapped the coils are. Store-bought electromagnets like this one are often powered by 6 DCV, is that something that can be powered with AC as well?

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3113200

If so, then would I just connect the speaker wire directly to the electromagnet? Or will I need to get an AC to DC converter?

I realize that these are probably all basic electrical knowledge questions, and really appreciate anyone who helps me out. If I need to clarify any part of the setup or a diagram would help, please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your speakers are themselves electromagnets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakers

You can use AC or DC to energize electromagnets. You should at least try to make your electromagnet look like a speaker (in terms of AC impedance and DC resistance), so that you don't hurt your audio power amp by connecting it to your electromagnet experiments.

berkeman said:
You should at least try to make your electromagnet look like a speaker (in terms of AC impedance and DC resistance), so that you don't hurt your audio power amp by connecting it to your electromagnet experiments.

I did the math [correctly, i hope] and plugged in 8 ohms for resistance as that is what my receiver states as the minimum. That gives me:

30 volts, 3.75 amps, 8 ohms, and 112 watts at peak power.

If I understand electromagnets, the current is what determines the strength. So if I can create an electromagnet which has 8 ohms of resistance, then the amperage is going to be anywhere from zero to maybe 4.5 amps. The windings of the coil will build up to 8 ohms I'm pretty sure, but i could always add a small resistor to the connector.

Referring to "making the electromagnet look like a speaker", if I have the receiver outputting up to 30 volts, and the electromagnet's resistance at 8 ohms, do I need to worry about any other factor?

The speaker input impedance is a combination of the resistance of the wire in the speaker coil, and the inductive impedance of the wire coils sitting around the mu of the stationary magnet. And here, I need to plead ignorance and bail -- sorry. I honestly don't know how those two components contribute to the impedance seen by the power amp. Does the wikipedia.org link talk about that at all?

It didn't mention anything that I could see; but if the 8 ohms of a normal speaker is a nominal resistance that varies, then making a magnet with a constant resistance of 8 ohms would be seen as "the perfect speaker" by the amplifier. Right?

I'll study up on it some more tomorrow, thanks for all your help!

1. What is an AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet?

An AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet is a device that uses alternating current (AC) to create a magnetic field. It is named after the popular rock band Led Zeppelin because it is shaped like a zeppelin and plays their music while in operation.

2. How does an AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet work?

The electromagnet works by converting electrical energy from the AC power source into a magnetic field. The alternating current flows through a coil of wire, creating an electromagnetic field. This field is then amplified by the zeppelin-shaped core, resulting in a strong magnetic force.

3. What are the applications of an AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet?

AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnets have various industrial applications, such as metal sorting, lifting and moving heavy objects, and separating materials. They are also used in scientific experiments and demonstrations to illustrate the principles of electromagnetism.

4. How is the AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet different from other electromagnets?

The main difference between an AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet and other electromagnets is its unique shape and design. The zeppelin-shaped core amplifies the magnetic field, making it stronger and more efficient compared to other electromagnets. It also has the added feature of playing music while in operation, making it a fun and entertaining device.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet?

Yes, like any other electromagnet, it is important to handle an AC powered Led Zeppelin electromagnet with caution. The strong magnetic field can be hazardous to individuals with pacemakers or other medical devices, and it can also damage electronic devices. It is recommended to keep a safe distance and avoid placing any sensitive equipment near the electromagnet.