Academia vs Industry: Pros & Cons

In summary, the conversation highlights the significant difference in the pace of research between academia and industry. The speaker expresses frustration with the slow pace of experiments in academia, which can take over a month to complete compared to just three days in industry. They also criticize the excessive administrative procedures and unnecessary knowledge taught in academia. The contrast is further emphasized by the speaker's experience of making 50-80 new molecules per month in industry, compared to the disbelief and hesitation they face when proposing the same in academia. Overall, the conversation highlights the inefficiency and bureaucracy in academia, leading to a slower pace of research compared to industry.
gravenewworld
This question gets asked quiet often in school so what's the deal?

Academia is extremely slow. I have no idea why. Experiments that I would do in industry that would take only 3 days, take over a month to complete in academia. It's simply ludicrous the amount of red tape and administrative crap you have to cut through just to use an instrument in academia. Sorry, I don't give a crap about the intricacies of how NMR works and I don't need a 3 day work shop on how to run and interpret a mass spec sample. 99% of the time if you aren't an expert in those fields you will never need to know the knowledge that they teach. The only analysis I need done is to tell me whether or not my stuff is in my flask, that's it, period.

They look at you like you are crazy if you propose to make 3 or more new molecules a month to test. Meanwhile in industry I was already making 50-80 new molecules per month to test, from start to finish.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you exaggerating? Why would anyone hand off a research project to academia if things were slower by a factor of ten there?

Related to Academia vs Industry: Pros & Cons

1. What are the main differences between academia and industry?

In academia, the main focus is on research and teaching, while in industry, the main focus is on product development and profit. Academia also tends to have a more structured and hierarchical system, while industry is more dynamic and fast-paced.

2. What are the pros of working in academia?

Working in academia allows for more freedom and autonomy in research and teaching, as well as the opportunity to make a significant impact in a particular field of study. It also offers job stability and a potential for tenure.

3. What are the cons of working in academia?

One of the main cons of working in academia is the heavy workload, which includes teaching, research, and administrative duties. The pay is also often lower compared to industry positions, and job opportunities can be limited.

4. What are the pros of working in industry?

Industry positions often offer higher salaries and better benefits compared to academia. There is also a greater potential for career advancement and a wider range of job opportunities in different sectors.

5. What are the cons of working in industry?

One of the main cons of working in industry is the lack of academic freedom and the pressure to meet company goals and deadlines. The work can also be more competitive and less collaborative compared to academia.