Returning to Physics After 4 Years: Should I Refresh or Push On?

In summary, the individual is seeking opinions on returning to university after leaving to enlist with the Air Force. They have concerns about remembering material from 5 years ago and are considering retaking classes for a refresher. They also mention potential financial implications due to using the GI bill. Some advice is given to gauge their understanding and consider their course selections carefully.
AirmanX
Perhaps this isn’t the place to ask, but I was just looking to hear opinions from some people on here about my situation.

I’ve been out of school for 4 years now, having left to enlist with the Air Force. While in school I was majoring in Physics/Mathematics. I was a B student in Physics 1, 2, 3 and an A student in Calc 1, 2, 3. However, I’m getting a bit nervous about separating from my comfortable job with the Air Force and returning to university after this gap in learning. I had a lot of success in my career so far, but I find myself missing Physics and wanting more.

What I’m particularly nervous about is returning to an upper level undergraduate class like QM and having to remember basic derivations/integrations from 5 years ago. I was considering retaking classes such as Calc 2/3 simultaneously just for a refresher, despite already having A’s in them. Is this a worthwhile endeavor, or would I be better off pressing forward with my degree track?

I’m a bit conflicted because my GI bill only pays for a set amount of schooling, and I don’t want to delay my education more than I already have with my enlistment. However, I get this looming sense that QM and the like will kick my butt if I’m not at my sharpest mathematically. I realize it’s hard to make a judgement since only “I” know my current ability level, but some general guidance for someone in my situation would be appreciated. Thanks for reading -Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you gauge your own understanding by working through a few exam level problems for each subject. If you find that your skills are lacking, you can go back to your course literature for a refresher and work with that material until you feel comfortable.

Likes Dr.D and AirmanX
I can't give coursework advice, but from the GI bill perspective I can. I am a GI bill student and work part time for the VA helping other vet students with their benefit.
Some things to consider in this regard are, if you retake classes, they will not be paid for so it will be out of your pocket. There is a caveat to this though- if you are at least a full time student, you won't have to pay for the tuition costs but only class fees and any diferential tuition. So keep this in mind if you plan to use the GI bill to retake any classes. I haven't taken those yet, but financially it would be in your benefit to review independently.

Likes AirmanX
And to add one more thing.
Say you decide to register for these two math classes. When you do, you will submit them to the VA. They will then look at your transcripts and see that you passed them already. Youll then receive a nasty gram telling you that they were not certified. This then drops your course load by 8 credits (maybe 7 depending on university). You are then no longer a full time student and will not receive your housing allowance. So financially, take a strong look at whether or not you would want to register for these classes.
A common misconception about vets using their GI bill is that they can take whatever classes they want, as long as they have te benefit left. This is not true, and your class selections will be looked at every semester. If something doesn't jive, its coming out of your pocket.

Likes CalcNerd and AirmanX

1. Should I refresh my knowledge before returning to physics after 4 years?

It is always a good idea to refresh your knowledge before diving back into any subject, especially after a long break. This will help you feel more confident and prepared to tackle new material.

2. How should I refresh my knowledge in physics?

Some recommended ways to refresh your knowledge in physics include reviewing your old notes and textbooks, watching online lectures or tutorials, and practicing problems and equations. You can also reach out to a professor or mentor for guidance.

3. Is it necessary to push on and continue where I left off?

It is not necessary to pick up exactly where you left off in your studies. You can start by reviewing the basics and gradually work your way up. It is important to focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing equations.

4. Will my previous knowledge in physics still be relevant?

While some concepts and equations may have changed or evolved over the years, the fundamental principles of physics remain the same. Your previous knowledge will still serve as a strong foundation for your studies.

5. How can I stay motivated while returning to physics after a long break?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but it is important to remember your goals and why you were passionate about physics in the first place. Surrounding yourself with a supportive community, setting small achievable goals, and rewarding yourself for progress can also help keep you motivated.