Academic papers of supervisor, PhD interview, reading other papers

In summary, it is acceptable to discuss papers published by other academics during a PhD interview as long as they are relevant to the field and research topic being explored. It is also important to consider the potential supervisor's published papers, but it is not necessary to solely focus on their work. Mentioning an article from 16 years ago may be acceptable, as long as it is discussed in the context of the interviewee's own interests and research direction. However, it is important to remember that the goal of the interview is not only to gain admission but also to find the right supervisor. Therefore, it is important to demonstrate a genuine interest in the supervisor's work. Additionally, it is not considered bad form to cite papers by other authors,
binbagsss
Is it ok to refer to a papers published by a different academic, or should i mainly be talking about my potential supervisor's published papers in my interview?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If they're relevant to the field and the research topic you're exploring, of course you can talk about other papers in the field. I'm not sure you would want a person as a supervisor who would be upset that you're reading someone else's work in addition to his or her own.

Likes binbagsss
Choppy said:
If they're relevant to the field and the research topic you're exploring, of course you can talk about other papers in the field. I'm not sure you would want a person as a supervisor who would be upset that you're reading someone else's work in addition to his or her own.

thank you for your answers. i have come across an article some 16 years ago that I probably find more interestng then the direction of his current work, is it a bad idea to mention this or not?

binbagsss said:
thank you for your answers. i have come across an article some 16 years ago that I probably find more interestng then the direction of his current work, is it a bad idea to mention this or not?

In general it's okay to talk about other work that's happening or that has happened in the field. I probably wouldn't *lead* with "I really want to do something that's in a different direction from what you're working on," but it's okay to mention your interests and discuss them in the context of the direction of your own work. Remember your goal in this interview is not only to gain admission into the program, but to find out if this person is the right supervisor for you.

binbagsss said:

Not being familiar with this "PhD interview", what exactly is the purpose here?

My recollection in chatting with a few PhDs from Europe seem to indicate that this is where you describe why you want to work with such a person. So if this is still true in your case, then I do not understand why telling your potential supervisor that you want to work on something else other than what he/she is working is a positive thing. I mean, it makes no sense to want to work for someone and yet, not do what he/she is doing. Why can't you choose someone else that's working in that area that you're interested in?

BTW, it is OK to mention papers by other authors, but IF your potential supervisor has also published papers in the same area and closely related to what you are citing, but you fail to mention it as well, this is BAD form. So please be sure that you've done an extensive literature search to make sure that you are not ignoring this person and citing someone else instead.

Zz.

In academia using others works isn't a sin, on the contrary it is encouraged, but I think you need to find a way through his research direction and interests. Presumably you have chosen this professor for a reason. If you have your own fund, maybe you will have more flexibility with the research topic. But if he is funding your research, then probably you will have a specific framework to do research in. Also, when you publish a paper on a peer reviewed conference/journal, you need to be familiar with the most recent works in the field, and the majority of your references must be up-to-date. Good luck

1. What should I look for when reading other academic papers?

When reading other academic papers, it is important to pay attention to the research question or hypothesis being addressed, the methods and data used, and the conclusions drawn. It can also be helpful to consider the significance of the research and how it relates to your own work.

2. How can I prepare for a PhD interview with my potential supervisor?

To prepare for a PhD interview with your potential supervisor, it is important to thoroughly research their previous work and publications. You should also prepare questions about their research interests, their mentoring style, and potential funding opportunities. It can also be helpful to practice discussing your own research interests and goals.

3. What role does a supervisor play in the writing of academic papers?

A supervisor plays a crucial role in the writing of academic papers. They provide guidance and feedback on research ideas, methodology, and data interpretation. They also assist with the organization and structure of the paper, as well as editing and proofreading. Ultimately, the supervisor's expertise and support can greatly enhance the quality of the paper.

4. How can I ensure that my academic paper meets the standards of my supervisor?

To ensure that your academic paper meets the standards of your supervisor, it is important to have regular communication and seek their feedback throughout the writing process. You should also carefully follow any guidelines or instructions provided by your supervisor. Additionally, it can be helpful to have your work reviewed by other colleagues or experts in the field.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing an academic paper?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing an academic paper include not properly citing sources, using vague or overly complex language, and not clearly stating the research question or hypothesis. It is also important to avoid bias and to carefully proofread for spelling and grammar errors.