Accel. of eletron in Electric field.

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the electric field needed to accelerate electrons in a TV tube from rest to one-tenth the speed of light in a distance of 5.5 meters. The equation used is v^2=V_o_+2a(delta X), where v is the final velocity, V_o_ is the initial velocity (rest), a is the acceleration, and delta X is the distance. The mass of an electron (9.11e-31) and the calculated acceleration (2.72 m/s^2) are used to find the electric field using the formula a=q/m(E). After redoing the calculation, the correct value for the electric field is found to be 1.19
Lance WIlliam

Homework Statement

How strong an electric field is needed to accelerate electrons in a TV tube from rest to one-tenth the speed of light in a distance of 5.5

Homework Equations

I used uniform accel. forumla v^2=V_o_+2a(delta X)
v=3e7 (1/10th speed of light)
V_o_=Rest
m=9.11e-31(mass of eletron)
delta X= .055meters
all to find (a)
to find the Accelaration

and a=q/m(E)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find E i believe I came up with
a=2.72 m/s^2
and E= 3.98e-41 which was wrong...;/

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Lance WIlliam said:
I need to find E i believe I came up with
a=2.72 m/s^2
Redo that calculation. (Your equation is OK.)

Ok I did it again and got 8.18e15 for my (a)
Then I need to find (E) so I changed the formula around so its "a/(q/m)=E" and I got 1.19e-33 ...wrong again...

Lance WIlliam said:
Ok I did it again and got 8.18e15 for my (a)
Looks good.
Then I need to find (E) so I changed the formula around so its "a/(q/m)=E" and I got 1.19e-33 ...wrong again...
That formula, though oddly written (get that fraction out of the denominator), is perfectly OK. Redo the calculation.

1. What is acceleration of an electron in an electric field?

The acceleration of an electron in an electric field refers to the rate of change of its velocity as it moves through the field. It is a measure of how much the electron's speed and direction change per unit of time.

2. How is the acceleration of an electron in an electric field calculated?

The acceleration of an electron in an electric field is calculated using the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force exerted on the electron by the electric field, and m is the mass of the electron.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an electron in an electric field?

The acceleration of an electron in an electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the electron, and the mass of the electron. It is also affected by any other forces acting on the electron, such as friction or magnetic fields.

4. Can the acceleration of an electron in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of an electron in an electric field can be negative. This means that the electron is decelerating or slowing down as it moves through the field. This can happen if the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the electron's motion.

5. How does the acceleration of an electron in an electric field relate to its kinetic energy?

The acceleration of an electron in an electric field is directly proportional to its kinetic energy. This means that as the electron's acceleration increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Conversely, if the electron's acceleration decreases, its kinetic energy decreases as well.