1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating a stationary proton

1. May 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If you wanted to accelerate a stationary proton, would you use electric field or magnetic field? why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2010 #2
    Oh, that's a nice question :D. Well, pretty simple actually. Just check and tell us, what does the force of each of the fields depend on? In this situation, one of them will be 0, and so this field will not accelerate a stationary proton.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    actually that's the question. there's no other stuff. i think electric field would be used since magnetic field needs a existing velocity for a force to applied to the proton.

5. May 30, 2010 #4
    So what's the problem, since you already know the answer and can properly justify it?:P

6. May 30, 2010 #5
    i have no idea if it's right or not. and my test is in a few days T_T

7. May 30, 2010 #6
    Well of course it's right!
    For electric field:
    [tex]\vec{F}=q\vec{E}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{a}=\frac{q \vec{E}}{m_p} \neq 0 [/tex] under assumption that there is an electric field ;)

For magnetic field:
    [tex]\vec{F}=q\vec{v}\vec{B} [/tex]
    [tex]\vec{a}=\frac{q\vec{v}\vec{B}}{m_p}=0[/tex], because v=0.

You could of course wirte it down more exactly, with all the angles considered and so on, but it doesn't change anything.

8. May 30, 2010 #7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook