1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating object air resistance

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    Ok so i have the distance travelled of an object assuming air ressistance is 0 and the distance travelled with air resistance included as well as the acceleration of the object, how would i calculate the coefficient of air resistance?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2
    If it's a simple shape you can find it on the internet, such as this chart:

200px-14ilf1l.svg.png

But if it's something more complex...which is pretty much anything, I don't think you can figure it out using paper and a pencil. Either through experiment, or maybe with some powerful physics program.

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Do you also know the initial launch angle or launch speed? If so, you can write a simulation program that predicts the projectile's range for different coefficients of air resistance, then see which one is the closest.

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4
    There are two classifications of air drag; Stokes Law drag or turbulent drag, depending on whether the Reynolds number Re is below or above about Re ~1000. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics [Broken])

The air drag for projectiles is usually turbulent, and the power loss (energy loss rate) is proportional to velocity cubed (see above url).

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook