Acceleration and jerk calculations

And how much does the velocity change during that time?In summary, The theoretical jerk and acceleration curve/distance/time for an elevator can be calculated by first determining the time and distance traveled during the starting jerk and the acceleration, and then calculating the change in velocity and distance traveled during these phases. This can be done by integrating the jerk (acceleration) over the period of time and adding it to the initial acceleration (velocity). The final step is to add the time and distance traveled during the jerk at the end of the acceleration curve, and the time and distance traveled by the time the elevator reaches full speed. This process will provide a comprehensive understanding of the elevator's movement.
SlowGoing
I’m trying to calculate the theoretical jerk and acceleration curve/distance/time for an elevator.

I have the constant starting jerk set to 1m/s3, constant acceleration set to 1m/s2 and full speed set to 1m/s.
Looking at Wikipedia about both, I can work out the figures about acceleration but I get stuck with the jerk.

Assume starting velocity is 0.
Assume jerk at start and at end of acceleration – S curve type of thing.

So I would like to know how to calculate:

Time and distance traveled during the starting jerk
Time and distance traveled during the acceleration
Time and distance traveled during the jerk at the end of the acceleration curve
Time and distance traveled by the time I reach full speed, which should just be an addition of the above.

I hope the above makes sense.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to work out is for how long the jerk goes that increases the acceleration from ##0ms^{-2}## to ##1ms^{-2}## and how long the reverse jerk goes that reduces the acceleration back to 0.

Next, calculate the total change in velocity and distance traveled during those two phases.

To get change in acceleration (velocity) over a time period we need to integrate the jerk (acceleration) over that period. So the acceleration (velocity) at a point in time within a period will be the acceleration (velocity) at the beginning of the period plus that integral.

To get distance traveled over a period, we integrate velocity over that period.

I properly did not explain myself very well.
How do I calculate the jerk distance/time with the figures above ?

Thanks

Jerk is the time rate of change in acceleration. You have said the jerk is ##1ms^{-3}##, which means it increases the acceleration by ##1ms^{-2}## every second. Given that, how long does it take to increase the acceleration from ##0ms^{-2}##to ##1ms^{-2}##?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is the measure of how quickly the object's speed is increasing or decreasing over time.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the change in time.

What is jerk?

Jerk is the rate of change of an object's acceleration. It measures how quickly the acceleration is changing over time.

How is jerk calculated?

Jerk is calculated by dividing the change in acceleration by the change in time. The formula for jerk is j = (af - ai) / t, where af is the final acceleration, ai is the initial acceleration, and t is the change in time.

What is the difference between acceleration and jerk?

The main difference between acceleration and jerk is that acceleration measures the change in an object's velocity, while jerk measures the change in an object's acceleration. In other words, acceleration measures how fast an object is speeding up or slowing down, while jerk measures how quickly the acceleration is changing.