Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration changing over time

1. Mar 4, 2013 #1
    Hey, i am having trouble doing the calculation on a dynamic system.

My acceleration is not constant during, and because of that my speed of the particle is changing from the original, and i wanna know how long my particle has moved in a short periode of time Δt and what the velocity is. with the math i have learned so far, i end up with only taking into account the end velocity or the beginning velocity, instead of calculating it is changing

Know is
    Beginning condition: (distance, speed)
    Travel: (acceleration at a specific time, that changes)
    I wanna know end distance and end velocity.

At the end i need to rewrite it to a transfer function, so i have to do linearization if that can help in the calculation :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2
    A general solution will require calculus, but it's possible you won't need this.

velocity: v(t) = ∫a(t)dt + v0
    displacement: x(t) = ∫(v(t))dt + x0 = ∫(∫a(t)dt + v0)dt + x0

v0, x0 are the velocity and displacement at t=0 (initial conditions).

You will need to integrate the acceleration a(t) twice to get a distance, and the method of solution will depend on the form of a(t). Do you know anything about the form of a(t)?

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    The object is a levitating beam, and because of that the acceleration is a function of time and distance

a(t,x) = (μ * N^2 * Ag)/4 * [I*sin(ωt + ρ)]^2 / x^2, or something like that

5. Mar 5, 2013 #4
    That double integral involving a(t) can be reexpressed as a single integral by integrating by parts to obtain:

[tex]\int_0^t(t-\lambda)a(\lambda) d\lambda[/tex]

where λ is a dummy variable of integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook