Acceleration due to *equal* weights on pulley system

In summary, the problem involves three pulleys and four masses, with pulley B being assumed to go down and pulley C to go up. The tensions in the strings over pulleys B and C are assumed to be equal, denoted by T. Three different tensions are to be considered, one for each string connecting the masses. The accelerations of pulleys B and C are assumed to be equal, denoted by a. The accelerations of the masses with respect to pulley B and C are denoted by a1 and a2 respectively. The variables used in the equations are a, a1, a2, and T.
Shashank Holla

Homework Statement

main-qimg-538caf7b76380d26e224c97725471535?convert_to_webp=true.gif
[/B]
Which of the following is correct?
1. The acceleration of pulley B is g/11 downwards
2. The acc. of pulley C is g/11 upwards
3. Tension in string passing over pulley A is 12.46g N
4. Tension in string passing over pulley A is 10g N

Homework Equations

F=m.a[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I wrote equations assuming pulley B to go down and pulley C to go up, with going down being positive.
Here, T is the tensions in the strings. I think the tension in the string over pulley B and C are equal, that is 'T' here.
a' is acceleration of pulley B.
a'' is acceleration of pulley C
a is acceleration of the weights with respect to pulley.
My doubt is, in these equations below, should the RHS accelerations be WRT to ground frame or pulley frame? But here are my equations, though solving them doesn't give me answers matching to any of the options
1. 8g - T = 8(a'-a)
2. T - 6g=6(-a'-a)
3. 10g - T = 10(a''+a)
4. T - 4g = 4(a-a'')

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shashank Holla said:
I think the tension in the string over pulley B and C are equal
Are you saying that all four of the tension forces that act on the 4 masses (4, 6, 8, and 10 kg) are equal?

Sometimes, I like to take things to extremes because it makes it easier for me to see if the assumption holds true. So is it true that if the two weights hanging off of pulley B add up to be the same as the two weights hanging off of pulley C, then the tensions in those strings will be the same - i.e. all 4 forces acting on the 4 masses are equal? What if on pulley B you had one weight at 7.001 kg and the other at 6.999 kg, and on pulley C you had one weight at 14.00000 kg and the other weight was a piece of dust? Would the two tensions be the same in that case?

Shashank Holla said:
should the RHS accelerations be WRT to ground frame or pulley frame?
I believe the problem is asking for the absolute linear accelerations of pulleys B and C. I couldn't figure out you meant by RHS?

Oh, by the way, welcome to Physics Forums.

The title says equal weights. Why?
Your set of variables seems strange, or maybe unclear. Pulleys B and C must have equal and opposite linear accelerations at their centres, but different rotational accelerations. Likewise, there are three different tensions to consider.
Each variable should have a unique name.

TomHart said:
Are you saying that all four of the tension forces that act on the 4 masses (4, 6, 8, and 10 kg) are equal?

I believe the problem is asking for the absolute linear accelerations of pulleys B and C.

Assuming the tension in the string over pulley B is T, then the tension in the string over the pulley A has to be 2T.
Assuming the tension in the string over pulley C is T'. then the tension in the string over the pulley B has to be 2T'.
Now 2T' has to be equal to 2T since it is the same string. So T=T'. Did I reason it out right?

TomHart said:
I couldn't figure out you meant by RHS?

RHS means Right Hand Side of the equation. (Sorry!)

Yes, the problem does ask that. So, the acceleration terms look right to me in these equations then.
TomHart said:
Oh, by the way, welcome to Physics Forums.
Thanks!

haruspex said:
The title says equal weights. Why?
Your set of variables seems strange, or maybe unclear. Pulleys B and C must have equal and opposite linear accelerations at their centres, but different rotational accelerations. Likewise, there are three different tensions to consider.

Since the pulley's are massless, they won't have torques on them, right?
And even though the pulleys have equal weights on both sides (10+4 and 6+8), they will move I think

Shashank Holla said:
Assuming the tension in the string over pulley B is T, then the tension in the string over the pulley A has to be 2T.
If T is the tension of string over the pulley B, then 2T is the force acting on pulley B as a result. However, if B is accelerating, then the tension in the string over pulley A cannot be equal to 2T. Otherwise, B would not be accelerating.

TomHart said:
If T is the tension of string over the pulley B, then 2T is the force acting on pulley B as a result. However, if B is accelerating, then the tension in the string over pulley A cannot be equal to 2T. Otherwise, B would not be accelerating.

So should I consider different tensions over the 3 pulleys?
What will be the relation between them then?

Shashank Holla said:
Yes, as haruspex mentioned below.
haruspex said:
Likewise, there are three different tensions to consider.

Hi Shashank ,

Shashank Holla said:

You only require tension in the strings connecting the masses . Will the tensions be same or different ?

Shashank Holla said:
Here, T is the tensions in the strings. I think the tension in the string over pulley B and C are equal, that is 'T' here.
a' is acceleration of pulley B.
a'' is acceleration of pulley C
a is acceleration of the weights with respect to pulley.

Do you believe acceleration of the masses (attached to pulley B ) with respect to pulley B is same as the acceleration of the masses (attached to pulley C) with respect to pulley C ?

I would suggest you to work with these variables :

a = magnitude of acceleration of pulleys B and C . Assume B goes down and C goes up .

a1 = magnitude of acceleration of 8Kg and 6Kg masses with respect to pulley B .Assume 8 Kg goes down and 6 Kg goes up w.r.t pulley B .

a2 = magnitude of acceleration of 10Kg and 4Kg masses with respect to pulley C .Assume 10 Kg goes down and 4 Kg goes up w.r.t pulley C .

T = Tension in the strings connecting the four masses .

Shashank Holla said:
1. 8g - T = 8(a'-a)
2. T - 6g=6(-a'-a)
3. 10g - T = 10(a''+a)
4. T - 4g = 4(a-a'')

Now think carefully and rewrite the above four equations in terms of the notation I have suggested . You will have four variables and four equations .That will give you the correct options .

Last edited:
Likes ehild
conscience said:
You only require tension in the strings connecting the masses . Will the tensions be same or different ?
Is it really true that you don't need to consider the tension in the string of pulley A? Or did I misunderstand you?

conscience said:
So the tension forces acting on the 4 weights (8 kg, 6 kg, 10 kg, and 4 kg) are all equal. Are you sure?

Shashank Holla said:
Since the pulley's are massless, they won't have torques on them, right?
And even though the pulleys have equal weights on both sides (10+4 and 6+8), they will move I think
Ah, ok - your title meant equal total masses. Yes, there will be movement of the pulleys.
conscience said:
You only require tension in the strings connecting the masses

conscience said:
T = Tension in the strings connecting the four masses
As TomHart notes, you need to consider tensions in the strings over all three pulleys, and the three are likely all different.

TomHart said:
It is not stated in the problem, but the pulleys usually are assumed massless. Otherwise the masses should have been given.
If the mass of pulley B is zero, the net force acting on it should be zero. So the tension in the string over A is 2T when the tension in the string over B is T.

Shashank Holla said:
Assuming the tension in the string over pulley C is T'. then the tension in the string over the pulley B has to be 2T'.
Now 2T' has to be equal to 2T since it is the same string. So T=T'. Did I reason it out right?

Yes, it is right.

TomHart said:
Is it really true that you don't need to consider the tension in the string of pulley A? Or did I misunderstand you?

We only need tensions in the strings connecting the masses .

TomHart said:
So the tension forces acting on the 4 weights (8 kg, 6 kg, 10 kg, and 4 kg) are all equal. Are you sure?

Yes .

All strings are massless and all pulleys are massless and frictionless .

haruspex said:
As TomHart notes, you need to consider tensions in the strings over all three pulleys, and the three are likely all different.

They are different but they bear a simple relationship between them since pulleys are massless .

But as I said earlier , we only need tensions in the strings connecting the four masses to write Newton's II Law separately for the masses .These tensions are same .

Likes ehild
conscience said:
They are different but they bear a simple relationship between them since pulleys are massless .
I think we are at cross purposes here. Yes, you can figure out quite quickly what the relationship is between the tensions, but Shashank needs to develop that from standard equations, not just take it on trust.

haruspex said:
Yes, you can figure out quite quickly what the relationship is between the tensions, but Shashank needs to develop that from standard equations, not just take it on trust.
Shashank derived that relationship in his post #4.

Likes conscience
ehild said:
Shashank derived that relationship in his post #4.
Thanks, my oversight.

haruspex said:
I think we are at cross purposes here. Yes, you can figure out quite quickly what the relationship is between the tensions, but Shashank needs to develop that from standard equations, not just take it on trust.

Please see post#4 .

conscience said:
Hi Shashank ,
Do you believe acceleration of the masses (attached to pulley B ) with respect to pulley B is same as the acceleration of the masses (attached to pulley C) with respect to pulley C ?

I would suggest you to work with these variables :

a = magnitude of acceleration of pulleys B and C . Assume B goes down and C goes up .

a1 = magnitude of acceleration of 8Kg and 6Kg masses with respect to pulley B .Assume 8 Kg goes down and 6 Kg goes up w.r.t pulley B .

a2 = magnitude of acceleration of 10Kg and 4Kg masses with respect to pulley C .Assume 10 Kg goes down and 4 Kg goes up w.r.t pulley C .

Now think carefully and rewrite the above four equations in terms of the notation I have suggested . You will have four variables and four equations .That will give you the correct options .

Okay, I think these equations are right, because my answers match with the options.

8g-T=8(a1+a)
T-6g=6(a1-a)
10g-T=10(a2-a)
T-4g=4(a2+a)

On solving, I got a1=100/77=1.29ms-2
a2= 360/77=4.67ms-2
T=4800/77=6.23g ms-2
a=10/11 ms-2=g/11ms-2

Tension over the pulley A is 2T=12.46g N

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me out!

Shashank Holla said:
Okay, I think these equations are right, because my answers match with the options.

8g-T=8(a1+a)
T-6g=6(a1-a)
10g-T=10(a2-a)
T-4g=4(a2+a)

On solving, I got a1=100/77=1.29ms-2
a2= 360/77=4.67ms-2
T=4800/77=6.23g ms-2
a=10/11 ms-2=g/11ms-2

Tension over the pulley A is 2T=12.46g N

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me out!
Looks right.
If you resist plugging in numbers until the end, keeping it in algebraic form, you will see a rather interesting relationship between the masses and the tension.

haruspex said:
If you resist plugging in numbers until the end, keeping it in algebraic form, you will see a rather interesting relationship between the masses and the tension.
I didnt quite get you

Shashank Holla said:
I didnt quite get you
Let the four masses be m1 to m4 and obtain the general equation. It is rather interesting.

Likes Shashank Holla

1. What is acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system?

Acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system is the rate at which the velocity of the system changes when two equal weights are attached to opposite ends of a rope that is draped over a pulley. This acceleration is caused by the difference in weights between the two sides of the pulley, and it is equal to the force of gravity acting on the weights divided by the total mass of the system.

2. How is acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system calculated?

To calculate acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system, you need to know the weight of the objects attached to the pulley, the length of the rope, and the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). The formula for this calculation is acceleration = net force / total mass. In this case, the net force is the difference in weight between the two objects, and the total mass is the combined mass of the objects and the rope.

3. What factors affect acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system?

The main factors that affect acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system are the weight of the objects attached to the pulley, the length of the rope, and the acceleration due to gravity. The weight of the objects will determine the net force, while the length of the rope will affect the distance over which the force is applied. The acceleration due to gravity will always be a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2.

4. How does friction affect acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system?

Friction can affect the acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system by reducing the efficiency of the system. Friction between the rope and the pulley can cause the rope to stretch and reduce the net force, resulting in a lower acceleration. Additionally, friction between the pulley and its axis can also slow down the rotation of the pulley, further reducing the acceleration.

5. Can acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, acceleration due to equal weights on a pulley system cannot be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the acceleration of the system is directly proportional to the net force, which cannot be greater than the force of gravity acting on the weights. However, it is possible for the acceleration to be equal to the acceleration due to gravity if the two weights are equal in mass and the system is frictionless.