Acceleration in terminal velocity?

In summary, the discussion is about whether acceleration is zero at terminal velocity. The original poster believes it is not, but other members have explained that the resultant force is zero and therefore acceleration is zero. The concept of terminal velocity is also discussed, with the understanding that it means constant velocity and zero acceleration. The conversation ends with the original poster acknowledging their understanding and asking if there are any further questions.
calculator20
I've just read somewhere that acceleration is zero when an object is at terminal velocity? I think it's wrong but wanted to check if I'm right?

Yes the resultant force is zero but gravity doesn't disappear so presumably acceleration due to gravity is constant? Terminal velocity means constant velocity and therefore constant acceleration?

Using F=ma to make F cancel upwards and downwards if mass is constant then does this mean the deceleration caused by air resistance equals acceleration due to gravity?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are wrong. The resultant force is zero and therefore acceleration is zero. If this was not the case the velocity would change and therefore not be terminal.

Yes there is acceleration from gravity, but it is exactly canceled by the acceleration from air resistance. Constant velocity means zero acceleration.

calculator20 said:
Terminal velocity means constant velocity and therefore constant acceleration?
Yes, constant acceleration of zero.

Ok yes understood. That aside is acceleration zero for terminal velocity? I don't think it is?

calculator20 said:
Ok yes understood. That aside is acceleration zero for terminal velocity? I don't think it is?

Did you read and understood the replies you received in Msg. #2 and #3? I don't know if you can get a clearer and more definitive answer that what you had already received. If you didn't understand even something as direct as those, what could someone else saying the same thing be any different?

Zz.

Ok thanks for your help

No they hadn't appeared when I responded, not sure your abrupt response was entirely necessary!

calculator20 said:
they hadn't appeared when I responded

If posts #2 and #3 hadn't appeared when you responded in post #4, what exactly were you responding to?

That aside, do you still have questions about why acceleration is zero at terminal velocity?

calculator20 said:
your abrupt response was entirely necessary!
Not really.

EDIT -- Actually, that is a funny typo you made! :smile:

Last edited:
calculator20 said:
That aside is acceleration zero for terminal velocity? I don't think it is?
Why do (or did) you think it isn't? Then people can address that, if necessary.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. This speed occurs when the force of gravity is equal to the opposing force of air resistance.

2. How does acceleration affect terminal velocity?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in determining the terminal velocity of an object. As an object falls, it accelerates due to the force of gravity. However, as it gains speed, the force of air resistance also increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and causing the object to reach a constant speed, or terminal velocity.

3. Can an object reach a terminal velocity in a vacuum?

No, terminal velocity only occurs in a fluid medium. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so an object will continue to accelerate due to the force of gravity until it reaches the ground or collides with another object.

4. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is v = √(2mg/ρAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

5. Can an object's shape affect its terminal velocity?

Yes, an object's shape can have a significant impact on its terminal velocity. Objects with a larger surface area, such as a parachute, will experience more air resistance and reach a lower terminal velocity than objects with a smaller surface area, such as a bullet.