Acceleration of a Block Down a Ramp

In summary: You are a real person, just like Drakkith. So, continue to participate in the discussions here. Physics is hard work. Making a class interesting and effective is also hard work. So, you'll find that it's not that hard to decide which one to do. But, once you've made that decision, you still have to execute.In summary, a block with mass of 9.2 kg is on an incline with an angle of 36° with no friction. The acceleration of the block in the X direction is found to be 5.77 m/s2 by using the components of the weight and the normal force. In the second
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

[/B]
A block with mass m1 = 9.2 kg is on an incline with an angle θ = 36° with respect to the horizontal. For the first question there is no friction, but for the rest of this problem the coefficients of friction are: μk = 0.33 and μs = 0.363.

1.) When there is no friction, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block?

2.) Now with friction, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block after it begins to slide down the plane?

Homework Equations

F=MA
Force of Gravity: Fg=-Mg
Normal Force: N = Mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm so confused. For question 1, I found the acceleration to be 5.77 m/s2 by finding the X-component of the normal force (53.05 N) and dividing by 9.2 kg. According my homework program, this is correct. However I don't really understand why.

My work:
Fx = sinθ(mg)
Fx = sin36(9.2*9.81)
Fx = 53.05 N

A = F/M
A = 53.05/9.2
A = 5.766 m/s2

For question 2, I've tried a couple of different things with no success. I don't even remember them all. I've just been floundering about for an hour. :confused: I'd appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For each of these questions, start by drawing a free-body diagram for the block, then apply Newton's laws.
What are the forces on the block for Q1?
Which direction do you expect the net force to point in?

In Q2 - it's just the same only there is an extra force.

(Little puzzled as to why this thread is started by "Drakkith".)

Did you draw a FBD? What are the forces parallel to the plane? For (2), which coefficient will you use?

Simon Bridge said:
What are the forces on the block for Q1?

haruspex said:
Did you draw a FBD? What are the forces parallel to the plane? For (2), which coefficient will you use?

For Q1, the forces acting on the block are the force of gravity and the normal force.
For Q2 there's also the force from kinetic friction, which is parallel to the plane of the incline.
I used 0.33 as my coefficient since the block is sliding.

Simon Bridge said:
(Little puzzled as to why this thread is started by "Drakkith".)

Because I'm taking a Physics 210 class.

Drakkith said:
For Q1, the forces acting on the block are the force of gravity and the normal force.
Sure, but I asked specifically about parallel to the plane. What are the components of those forces parallel to the plane? What does ##\Sigma F=ma## give you for that direction?

haruspex said:
What are the components of those forces parallel to the plane?
Considering this question:
Drakkith said:
I'm so confused. For question 1, I found the acceleration to be 5.77 m/s2 by finding the X-component of the normal force (53.05 N) and dividing by 9.2 kg. According my homework program, this is correct. However I don't really understand why.
... don't we need to motivate finding the component parallel to the plane?

Weight and the normal force must add (head to tail) to the net force - you know the magnitude of the weight and the direction of the normal and the resultant forces. This let's you carefully draw out a right-angled triangle ... and you know how to deal with those.

It's just easier to work in components and follow the rules.

You are teaching a physics 210 class, or you are a student in one?

haruspex said:
Sure, but I asked specifically about parallel to the plane. What are the components of those forces parallel to the plane? What does ##\Sigma F=ma## give you for that direction?

I think its 55.78 N. The X-component is 53.05, the net force in the vertical direction is 17.232, so √(53.052 + 17.2322) = 55.78 N.

Simon Bridge said:
You are teaching a physics 210 class, or you are a student in one?

Student.

Simon Bridge said:
Weight and the normal force must add (head to tail) to the net force - you know the magnitude of the weight and the direction of the normal and the resultant forces. This let's you carefully draw out a right-angled triangle ... and you know how to deal with those.

I think that's what I did in post 7. But that gives me an acceleration of 6.06 m/s2, which apparently is wrong according to the homework program.

Wait... apparently I've severely misunderstood something here. When you take gravity and divide it into its two components, are they parallel and perpendicular to the surface of the plane?

Drakkith said:
Wait... apparently I've severely misunderstood something here. When you take gravity and divide it into its two components, are they parallel and perpendicular to the surface of the plane?
If by plane you mean the ramp, then yes.

Drakkith said:
It's not that a force, such as gravity, has components, in any absolute sense. You can choose some direction and find the component of the force in that direction. For this you use the cosine of the angle in between the force and the chosen direction. If you choose two directions at right angles, and find the component of the given force in each of those two directions, then the original force is equal to the vector sum of the two components.
In ramp problems, it is often convenient to represent every force by its components parallel to and perpendicular to the slope. In particular, the component of gravity perpendicular to the slope will generally equal the normal force from the slope on the object (since there is no acceleration in that direction). It gets more complicated if there are other forces perpendicular to the slope, or if the ramp can move.

Okay, that solved all of my issues. For Q2, the answer is 3.15 m/s2
Thanks all.

Well done.
You'll know from reading PF that just learning the rules for manipulating a problem is not good enough around here :)
Have you tried the problem geometrically - adding the vectors head-to-tail?
That will show you why the components make sense mathematically.

Physically - you want one component in the direction you'd expect to find the final acceleration because that it the direction of the net force.
The other component has to be at right angles because that is what "component" means.

Simon Bridge said:
You'll know from reading PF that just learning the rules for manipulating a problem is not good enough around here :)

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Simon Bridge said:
Have you tried the problem geometrically - adding the vectors head-to-tail?

I haven't gotten out a ruler and protractor and made sure the angles and lengths of the arrows match up, but I can see how the vector components add together.

No worries - enjoy.

What is the acceleration of a block down a ramp?

The acceleration of a block down a ramp is the rate at which the block's velocity changes as it moves down the ramp. It is affected by the angle of the ramp, the mass of the block, and the force of gravity acting on the block.

How is acceleration calculated for a block down a ramp?

The acceleration of a block down a ramp can be calculated using the formula a = g sinθ, where "a" is the acceleration, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and "θ" is the angle of the ramp.

Does the mass of the block affect its acceleration down a ramp?

Yes, the mass of the block does affect its acceleration down a ramp. The greater the mass of the block, the greater the force needed to accelerate it down the ramp. Therefore, a heavier block will have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter block.

How does the angle of the ramp affect the acceleration of a block?

The angle of the ramp affects the acceleration of a block as it changes the force of gravity acting on the block. The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the acceleration of the block as the force of gravity is pulling more directly downwards.

What is the difference between acceleration down a ramp and acceleration on a flat surface?

The main difference between acceleration down a ramp and acceleration on a flat surface is the presence of a force acting on the block. On a flat surface, there is no force acting on the block other than its weight. However, on a ramp, the force of gravity is acting on the block at an angle, resulting in a change in acceleration.