1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a Rocket falling to Earth

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1
    I want to drop a rocket-shaped object from a near-space balloon, with the aim of maintaining a downward acceleration that leaves it's contents in microgravity.

I think that this means:
    • The (unpowered) rocket needs to maintain as close to 9.8m/s2 acceleration in order to balance out the acceleration of its contents
    • The terminal velocity of the rocket or it's contents will come into play - but I'm not sure if that speed is even achievable before hitting the ground
    I would like to know:

1. Is it possible for an unpowered object to fall at that kind of acceleration, assuming it's aerodynamically efficient enough, and if so, how long for?
    2. How can I work out it's speed for a given distance from the 'start' (i.e. point of release from the balloon?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

In a perfect vacuum, you would get microgravity. Air drag will always slow you down. There is no way to achieve microgravity for more than a few seconds if you do not power your rocket to actively cancel air drag.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook