Acceleration of two masses on string

In summary, the center of mass of the two-block-cylinder-string system has an acceleration that is (m_1*a-m_2*a)/(m_1+m_2+m_3).
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

In the Atwood's machine below the string passes over a fixed cylinder of mass mc. The cylinder does not rotate. Instead, the string slides on its frictionless surface. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: m1, m2, and g. Find the magnitude only.)
5-figure-82.gif

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 ƩFY: T-m1g = m1a

T = m1(a + g)

m2 ƩFY: T - m2g = -m2a

Substitute T in

m1a + m1g - m2g = -m2a

a(m1 + m2) = g(m2 - m1)

a = g(m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2)

This seems simple enough, but it's not being counted as correct. The acceleration for the center of mass for the system would be the same as the acceleration of the individual blocks, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If we are to take picture as an indication of the masses involved, then m1 > m2, and your acceleration is negative. You, however, have been asked for its magnitude only, which must not be negative. If we ignore the picture, then you must ensure you get non-negative magnitudes irrespective of what the masses are.

I haven't been given any values and have to solve the problem symbolically. So ignoring the picture, is my math correct?

The math is correct, but it is not finished. You need the magnitude of the acceleration that you have derived.

I have looked at the reference, and absolute value is covered. But perhaps you really just need to take the picture as a cue.

Disregard that - I just re-read your latest message. You need to derive the motion of the center of mass. What is its equation?

I tried absolute value and it's still incorrect. I'll have to read over my notes again because clearly something is missing.

So the acceleration of the center of mass is a_cm=(m_1*a-m_2*a)/(m_1+m_2+m_3) since m_1 and m_2 have opposite accelerations. Plug in a and you should arrive at the answer. (note that I assumed m_1 was heavier).

What is the "Acceleration of two masses on string" experiment?

The "Acceleration of two masses on string" experiment is a common physics experiment that involves two masses connected by a string over a pulley. The experiment is used to study the acceleration of objects in different scenarios, such as constant acceleration, variable acceleration, and the effects of different masses on acceleration.

What is the purpose of the "Acceleration of two masses on string" experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to demonstrate the principles of acceleration and motion. By varying the mass of the objects and the tension in the string, students can observe the effects on the acceleration of the objects and understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

What factors affect the acceleration of the two masses?

The acceleration of the two masses is affected by several factors, including the mass of the objects, the tension in the string, and the angle of the string. These factors can be manipulated in the experiment to observe their effects on acceleration.

What is the equation used to calculate the acceleration of the two masses?

The equation used to calculate the acceleration of the two masses is a = (m1-m2)g / (m1+m2), where a is the acceleration, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation applies to the scenario where the string is horizontal and there is no friction.

How does the "Acceleration of two masses on string" experiment relate to real-life situations?

The experiment is a simplified version of real-life scenarios, such as objects connected by a rope or a pulley. By understanding the principles of acceleration and motion in this experiment, students can apply their knowledge to understand and analyze more complex scenarios in the real world, such as elevators, cars, and amusement park rides.