Acceleration overcoming Velocity. Over what time frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle's motion with an initial position and speed, but with acceleration in the opposite direction. The main question is to find the time when the particle returns to its initial position and its speed at that point. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding the second time t2 and the confusion over using the formula V=(X-Xo)/(t-0) due to the variable acceleration. Suggestions are given for how to approach finding t2 and understanding the relationship between speed and time with constant acceleration.
Maiton

Homework Statement

A particle leaves its initial position Xo at time t=0, moving in the positive x direction with speed Vo but undergoing acceleration a in the negative x-direction. Find expression for (a) the time when it returns to Xo and (b) its speed when it passes that point

I'm having difficulting finding my second time t2. If I have this I can find the speed with V=(X-Xo)/(t-0). I'm trying to get into this course but am drawing a blank at this time. If someone could give me a few words in an explanation, I'd be greatly appreciative. It may just open my eyes.

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't get speed with V=(X-Xo)/(t-0). The speed is not constant, there is acceleration. How does speed depend on time under constant acceleration?

What have you tried to find t2?

1. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing. Velocity, on the other hand, is the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How does acceleration overcome velocity?

Acceleration can overcome velocity when it is greater in magnitude than the velocity. This means that the object is increasing its velocity at a faster rate than it was before, allowing it to overcome its previous velocity.

3. Can acceleration overcome velocity in a short time frame?

Yes, acceleration can overcome velocity in a short time frame. The time frame depends on the magnitude of the acceleration and the initial velocity of the object. A larger acceleration or smaller initial velocity would result in a shorter time frame for acceleration to overcome velocity.

4. Is there a maximum limit to how much acceleration can overcome velocity?

Yes, there is a limit to how much acceleration can overcome velocity. This limit is determined by the laws of physics, specifically the concept of terminal velocity. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air. Once an object reaches terminal velocity, the forces of air resistance and gravity are balanced, and the object will no longer accelerate.

5. How does acceleration and velocity relate to each other over time?

Acceleration and velocity are closely related over time. When an object's acceleration is constant, its velocity will increase or decrease at a constant rate. This relationship is described by the equations of motion, which show how velocity changes over time due to acceleration. Without acceleration, an object's velocity will remain constant, and without velocity, there can be no acceleration.