1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerationg of rotating mass *along* the axis of rotation

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Says Wikipedia: "The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to any change in its state of rotation".

Now consider a rotating mass [itex]m[/itex] that I would like to accelerate along its axis of rotation by [itex]a[/itex]. Does this count as a "change in its state of motion"? Will it resist the acceleration more that just [itex]F=m\times a[/itex]. And if yes, how much?

Thanks,
    Harald.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

yes. Newton's laws.
    no. this is a linear acceleration - regular inertia is all you need.

Lets be sure I understand you: something is freely rotating about its center of mass - the rotation takes place in the x-y plane so the angular momentum points in the +z direction ... the z axis is the axis of rotation.

To accelerate the object in the +z direction, you apply an unbalanced force in the z direction through the center of mass. az=Fz/m is correct.

An arbitrary force applied to a free body will have a component through the center of mass giving rise to a linear acceleration by Fr=ma and another perpendicular to that giving rise to an angular acceleration by rFt=Iα

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    Yes, that was what I was after. The [itex]m\times a[/itex] should have been [itex]m\cdot a[/itex]. And yes, the force should point at the center of mass as to not tilt the axis of rotation.

Thanks,
    Harald.

5. Sep 2, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since m is a scalar, and a is a vector, it should be just [itex]m\vec{a}[/itex] ... don't worry about it ;)

I could have said that, for an arbitrary force F at position vector r from the center of mass, then [itex]\vec{r}\wedge\vec{F}=I\vec{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r}\cdot\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/itex]

You realize that the Earth is a rotating body being accelerated by an unbalanced force acting through it's center of mass?

Anyway, knowing how a general vector works on a rigid body should help you now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook