Troubleshooting Accelerometers - Calibration Issues

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of new accelerometers and the process of calibrating them. It is noted that the readings for each axis will vary depending on the orientation, which may cause issues with finding euler angles. The concept of acceleration and gravity being indistinguishable is also brought up.
czechman45
Our lab just got these fancy new accelerometers that I'm trying to figure out. They are triaxial, but are not yet calibrated. As I was looking into how to calibrate them, I realized that, for a given axis, I would get a different voltage reading depending on whether the axis was oriented vertically (positive down), horizontally, or vertically (positive up). This is in fact how they recommend calibrating them.

Here's my problem. Doesn't this go against the whole idea of acceleration?! In each case, the sensor is not accelerating, it is just oriented differently, so why am I reading different values for the acceleration.

Also, does this mean that once the sensors are calibrated, that all of the readings I get will be orientation specific? If so, who is that dealt with? I would have a constantly changing orientation and no way to find euler angles.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you accounting for gravity, and downward acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2?

Yes, each axis will give different readings depending on orientation, that is the whole purpose of a triaxial accelerometer. You can compute the 3D acceleration vector relative to the calibrated origin. If you only care about total magnitude of acceleration, then you can can to compute the length of the vector by sum of squares. total^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

czechman45 said:
Here's my problem. Doesn't this go against the whole idea of acceleration?! In each case, the sensor is not accelerating, it is just oriented differently, so why am I reading different values for the acceleration.

Depending on your application, there may be fundamentally no solution to your problem. It's the equivalence principle that says acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable.

Related to Troubleshooting Accelerometers - Calibration Issues

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration and gravity in three axes. It typically contains a mass attached to a spring, which moves when the sensor experiences acceleration. This movement is converted into an electrical signal and can be used to measure motion and orientation.

2. Why is calibration important for accelerometers?

Accurate calibration is essential for ensuring that an accelerometer provides precise and reliable measurements. Without proper calibration, the sensor may produce inaccurate readings, leading to incorrect data and results.

3. What are the common issues encountered during calibration of accelerometers?

Some common issues during calibration include improper mounting, misalignment with the reference axis, and incorrect input parameters. Other factors such as temperature, magnetic fields, and vibration can also affect the calibration process.

4. How can I troubleshoot calibration issues with accelerometers?

If you are experiencing calibration issues, first check for any external factors that may be affecting the sensor. Ensure that the accelerometer is mounted correctly and aligned with the reference axis. If the issue persists, try recalibrating the sensor using the correct input parameters and a reliable reference standard.

5. How often should I calibrate my accelerometers?

The frequency of calibration depends on the specific application and the manufacturer's recommendations. In general, it is recommended to calibrate accelerometers at least once a year or whenever there are significant changes in the environmental conditions or usage of the sensor.