Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accurate Magnet Computer Simulator

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    Does anybody know of an online application, or a program, or anything that can simulate accurately magnets and how they interact? Like a simulator.

Thanks very much. ^_^\/

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2
    Hi Draven and the others!

The full answer is: an FEM program. But then, the only ones I know cost 1000s of Usd [if somebody knows a free or cheap one, I'm interested!]

Cheaper answer? This depends on what you hope to do, maybe you could tell a bit more? Computing torques and forces when distances are bigger than dimensions of permanent magnets or ironless coils doesn't even need a computer. But at short distances, or with ferromagnetic materials added, solving is indeed difficult, and needs precise geometric models of your parts. Such a program is best integrated with a 3D-CAD.

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    You can download the student version of Maxwell by Ansoft.

http://www.ansoft.com/maxwellsv/

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4
    Thank you guys. =)

My needs are relatively simple. I think it's already going to work, and since it will be relatively cheap to test in real life, I'm going with that.

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5
    I hope you are not inventing a perpetuum mobile.

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6
    Perpetual motion?

I don't disclose the nature of any of my inventions until I've tested them and found that they've worked, in any case I won't be posting anything on anything I've made, on this site, because I'd rather not have any of my ideas stolen.

Right now I still haven't tested my invention.
    :shy:

8. Nov 15, 2008 #7
    Hopefully your invention shall dramatically advance the human infrastructure and take us to great depths beyond the beyond...Good Luck.

9. Nov 15, 2008 #8
    Hmm. Sarcasm?

If not, thanks, lol.

If it works it'll be quite interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?