1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acetone derived from conventional petroleum?

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    Would Acetone be considered to be derived from conventional petroleum?
    In the truest sense of the term "derived from conventional petroleum"
    I have to answer the question yes or no so a final yes or know in the end would be very helpful. I know that acetone (dimethyl ketone) is produced chiefly by catalytic dehydrogenation of isopropanol and I searched the web for at least an hour to try to find out if it's considered to be derived from conventional petroleum in the truest sense of the term but couldnt find a definitive answer.

Thanks
    Anthony

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2
    Petroleum, as I understand it, is a mix of a lot of hydrocarbons and ther organic compounds. Do you know if acetone can be one of those? (i.e. can/do oil refineries separate out acetone from petrol?) Also, you know how lots of acetone is produced... by some reaction involving isopropanol... does isopropanol come from the mix? Or can isopropaol be made from some other things in petrol? Because one could go down the reaction line for a while... you probably need to clearly define what "derived" means and just write down a good argument...

4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    I'm not sure if isopropanol is refined from petroleum, I can't seem to find an answer to that on the web. Whe're using acetone and we have to register it with the NYS health dept and the classification question asks: "Is the chemical derived only from conventional petroleum, heavy oil deposits, coal, tar sands and/or oil sands?" and the choice of answers is Yes or No. People in this forum are chemistry geniuses so when I got stumped after trying to research it on the web I thought to ask here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?