Can you perform algebra on derivatives?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of partial derivatives and their importance in finding rates of change in specific directions in multivariate functions. It was also noted that partial derivatives are a special case of directional derivatives. The conversation also touched on the usefulness of partial derivatives in analyzing physical situations and solving mathematical problems. It was concluded that partial derivatives are a valuable mathematical tool and understanding them is crucial in advanced mathematical analysis.
INTP_ty
Question 1:

Consider the numbers 2 & 8. The average between these two quantities is 5, hence 2+8=10, 10/2=5. Now consider two arbitrary derivatives. It wouldn't make much sense to find the average between two unrelated derivatives, but suppose that f(x,y) was a function of both x & y. Now would it make sense to find the average between f'(x) & f'(y) to get f'(x,y)?

I watched a YouTube video on finding derivatives with functions that contain more than one variable. The tutorial had you hold one variable constant to get the derivative of the other. It was a partial derivative. I'm just wondering why this is necessary & why you can't just be general about it & solve for f'(x,y)? I think I might know why. Suppose f(x,y)=x²+y³. You can't simply add the derivatives of those two variables together. That would be like adding two fractions together who's denominators are different. You can of course get around this by finding the lowest common denominator. I'm wondering if you can do the same, but with functions? Perhaps you could "stretch" x² or "contract" y³ so you can add them together?
Question 2:

In question 1, I mentioned that in the video I watched, I noticed that you couldn't solve for f'(x,y) & that you could only solve for the derivative of just one variable. Is this always the case? What if the derivatives of both the variables were the same? Suppose f(x,y)=x²+y². f'(x,y) is not 2x+2y? I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
INTP_ty said:
I watched a YouTube video on finding derivatives with functions that contain more than one variable. The tutorial had you hold one variable constant to get the derivative of the other. It was a partial derivative.

INTP_ty said:
I'm just wondering why this is necessary & why you can't just be general about it & solve for f'(x,y)?

When one differentiates partially, one is assuming everything else is constant in the functional relation.
In a way, you're basically saying that you only care about what's going on in the particular direction.
If i differentiate partially with respect to x, I only care about the rate of change in the x direction. Likewise, if i differentiate partially with respect to y, i only care about the change in the y direction.
but the question remains ...why we do that?
Mathematical tools ..though looking abstract...are used to depict physical situation and help analysis of physical problems ...pertaining to sciences in general and partials carry special meanings.

take the case of a gas filled up baloon - its volume V depends on pressure P, as well as temperature T so V( P, T) so any analysis of the gas confined in V can give us info as to how it changes with pressure if temp. is kept constant and so on ..these partials may be related to other thermodynamic variables/functions.

INTP_ty said:
I watched a YouTube video on finding derivatives with functions that contain more than one variable. The tutorial had you hold one variable constant to get the derivative of the other. It was a partial derivative. I'm just wondering why this is necessary & why you can't just be general about it & solve for f'(x,y)? I think I might know why. Suppose f(x,y)=x²+y³. You can't simply add the derivatives of those two variables together. That would be like adding two fractions together who's denominators are different. You can of course get around this by finding the lowest common denominator. I'm wondering if you can do the same, but with functions? Perhaps you could "stretch" x² or "contract" y³ so you can add them together?

The partial derivatives with respect to ##x## and ##y## are, in fact, special cases of the "directional derivative". That is, the rate of change of the function in any direction in the ##xy## plane. See, for example:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/DirectionalDeriv.aspx

The average of ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}## doesn't really tell you much.

What do you mean by f'(x,y)? If you want it to be a real number, what does that real number represent? f is like a two-dimensional surface if you plot it, you cannot express its "tilt" by a single number as you can do in the one-dimensional case.

If you consider (multivariate) differentiable functions, it is considering their tangent space. It is like laying a board on their graph with contact at some point. This means the partial derivatives are a coordinate system of this board. So you can add them as you add vectors. They are the basis vectors of the coordinate system. You get other directions by adding weighted sums of them. I found the Wiki page on it a bit bumpy, but if want to have a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_of_a_function.

As this tangent space is simply a vector space, you can do a lot of algebra on it. In fact, it is a very important tool to derive properties of the function by easier to handle (linear) methods. In a small neighborhood at the point where the tangent space has contact to the function's graph, they are almost identical!

Your formula in the second question is correct, beside you left out the basis vectors. So
$$f'(x,y) = df = d (x^2+y^2) = 2x \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + 2y \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = (2x , 2y)$$

See 4:17

fresh_42 got it. It's vectors that I was getting at.

1. Can you use algebra to solve derivative equations?

Yes, algebra can be used to solve derivative equations. In fact, algebra is a fundamental tool in calculus, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with derivatives.

2. What are the basic algebraic rules for working with derivatives?

The basic algebraic rules for working with derivatives include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating algebraic expressions.

3. Can you simplify derivative equations using algebra?

Yes, algebra can be used to simplify derivative equations. By rearranging and manipulating algebraic expressions, you can often simplify complex derivatives and make them easier to solve.

4. How can you use algebra to find the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line can be found by using the derivative of the function at a specific point. This can be done by plugging the x-coordinate of the point into the derivative equation and using algebra to solve for the slope.

5. Is it possible to use algebra to find the second derivative of a function?

Yes, the second derivative of a function can be found using algebra. You can find the first derivative of the function, and then use algebra to take the derivative of that derivative to find the second derivative.