Acoustic Focusing of particles on a large scale

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of using acoustic focusing to guide particles inside a tube and prevent them from contacting the inner diameter. The speaker would be used instead of a traditional piezo element, with the goal of establishing a standing wave to move the particles towards the tube's axis. The main difficulty at hand was calculating the necessary amplitude of the wave to achieve this. The individual requested any insights or advice on the matter.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PFers,
I'm working on a project where I need to focus powdered that is being blown through a tube. I would like to discuss the option of using acoustic focusing to guide the particles to the axis of the tube to prevent the particles from contacting the tube inside diameter.

There is plenty of research on acoustic focusing on very small scales, but I'm interested in using a standard speaker to focus particles inside an 11mm ID cylinder instead of the traditional piezo element.

I want to mount a acoustic waveguide perpendicular to the axis of the carrier gas and establish a standing wave where the node is aligned with the axis of the tube.

The difficulty I'm having is calculating the amplitude of the wave necessary to move the X axis of the particle trajectory towards the axis of the tube.

I appreciate any help I can get.

kind regards.

Attachments

• P1030219.jpg
    P1030219.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Thoughts anybody?

What is acoustic focusing of particles on a large scale?

Acoustic focusing is a method that uses sound waves to manipulate and concentrate tiny particles, such as cells or microbeads, in a liquid medium. This is achieved by creating standing waves that exert forces on the particles and cause them to move towards the center of the wave, where they can be collected or further manipulated.

What are the advantages of using acoustic focusing for particle manipulation?

Acoustic focusing allows for non-invasive and contact-free manipulation of particles, which is beneficial for delicate or sensitive samples. It also offers precise control and real-time monitoring of particle movement, making it a valuable tool in various fields such as biology, chemistry, and materials science.

How does acoustic focusing work on a large scale?

On a large scale, acoustic focusing involves the use of multiple transducers or speakers to generate standing waves in a larger volume of liquid. These waves are carefully controlled to create regions of high and low pressure, which can be used to trap and concentrate particles in different areas of the volume.

What types of particles can be focused using acoustic waves?

Acoustic focusing can be used on a wide range of particles, including cells, bacteria, microbeads, and even droplets. The size and properties of the particles, such as their density and compressibility, can affect how they respond to the acoustic forces and therefore how they are focused.

What are some potential applications of acoustic focusing on a large scale?

Acoustic focusing has numerous potential applications, including bioassays, drug delivery, cell sorting, and tissue engineering. It can also be used for particle analysis and characterization, such as measuring the size and concentration of particles in a sample.