Acoustic vs. seismic waveforms

In summary: It would be difficult to do so without the raw data. However, if you were to contact Tom Irvine over at VibrationData.com, he might be able to help you out.
Orion1

Is it possible to correlate the atmospheric acoustic vs. ground seismic waveforms from a charge detonation?

Are there any physicists on this forum that recognise the acoustic and seismic waveform signatures from a charge detonation?

Acoustic, Seismic wave function equation:
[tex]\psi (x,t) = A \sin (\omega t - k x)[/tex]

Acoustic, Seismic wave equation:
[tex]\nabla^2 \phi = \frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

Reference:
http://www.911review.com/errors/wtc/imgs/wtc1level.jpg
http://www.911eyewitness.com/images/wtc1summary01.jpg
http://uscrisis.lege.net/911/911seismic.gif

Attachments

• wtc1summary01.jpg
    wtc1summary01.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 265
  • wtc1level.jpg
    wtc1level.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 521
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you always post in blue?

In what way are you looking to correlate them?

In what way are you looking to correlate them?

To measure the properties of the energy source(s).

En absentia of the raw computer data source information, the attachment is my first attempt at a classical approach at correlating the acoustic amplitudes with the seismic amplitudes properties.

Is there a correlation?

When a building implodes, does it collapse into its negative amplitude spike corresponding to a vacuum pressure after the previous positive energy amplitude spike resposible for the primary implosion initiation?

In simpler terms, do buildings implode under vacuum pressure?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I don't think you'd be able to do it without the original source data. However, I would pass you along to someone who I have seen do work in this area. You should try to get a hold of Tom Irvine over at VibrationData.com. I have seen him do seismic analysis on manmade events like this before. He does sometime post in the Vibration section of Engineering Tips.com as well.

seismic chronology...

I believe that I have found a solution to the seismic-acoustic chronological timeline.

The attachment is my second attempt using zero-time chronology.

EDT = UTC - 4:00:00

Seismic:
One World Trade Center collapses:
14:28:?? UTC
10:28:35.714 A.M. EDT

duration = 40 s - data start to data end

Acoustic:
duration = 31.19 s - peak 1 to peak 6a

Attachments

• sd02.JPG
    sd02.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Seismic Stereo...

Why are seismic waves recorded in mono instead of stereo?

1. What is the difference between acoustic and seismic waveforms?

Acoustic waveforms are sound waves that travel through a medium, while seismic waveforms are vibrations that travel through the Earth's crust.

2. How do acoustic and seismic waveforms differ in terms of frequency?

Acoustic waveforms typically have a higher frequency range than seismic waveforms. Acoustic waves can range from a few hertz to thousands of hertz, while seismic waves typically have a frequency range of 0.001 to 10 hertz.

3. Which type of waveform is used for imaging underground structures?

Seismic waveforms are used for imaging underground structures, as they are able to penetrate through the Earth's crust and provide detailed images of subsurface features.

4. Can acoustic and seismic waveforms be used together?

Yes, acoustic and seismic waveforms can be used together in a technique called seismic-acoustic tomography. This allows for more detailed imaging of subsurface structures.

5. How are acoustic and seismic waveforms used in the study of earthquakes?

Acoustic and seismic waveforms are used to study earthquakes by recording and analyzing the vibrations and sound waves produced by earthquakes. This can provide valuable information about the location, magnitude, and other characteristics of the earthquake.