Add Library to Fortran - Learn How to Launch Free Libraries

• Fortran
  • Thread starter astroastro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, the instructions on this website do not seem to be specific to the FGSL library, and you may not need to build the library at this point.
astroastro
Hi I'm completely new to fortran I've downloaded FGSL and I don't know how to run it and also I don't How should I launch the free libraries in fortran,can give me an outline?

Technology news on Phys.org
astroastro said:
Hi I'm completely new to fortran I've downloaded FGSL and I don't know how to run it and also I don't How should I launch the free libraries in fortran,can give me an outline?
You don't "run" FGSL in the conventional sense, like you execute an application.

A library is a collection of compiled code which can be linked to other routines written and compiled by the user to make a new program.

Have you read the README file at the following link?:

http://www.lrz.de/services/software/mathematik/gsl/fortran/

SteamKing said:
You don't "run" FGSL in the conventional sense, like you execute an application.

A library is a collection of compiled code which can be linked to other routines written and compiled by the user to make a new program.

Have you read the README file at the following link?:

http://www.lrz.de/services/software/mathematik/gsl/fortran/
yes but It wasn't so meaningful to me ,
for example it said : ...
export FC=<fortran compiler command>
export FCFLAGS=<additional Fortran flags>...
I couldn't find these files in the FGSL file where are they?
and I also it need so many modification and extra files which I don't have them :(
Do you know any scientific library which is easier to use for fortran?

astroastro said:
yes but It wasn't so meaningful to me ,
for example it said : ...
export FC=<fortran compiler command>
export FCFLAGS=<additional Fortran flags>...
I couldn't find these files in the FGSL file where are they?
and I also it need so many modification and extra files which I don't have them :(
Do you know any scientific library which is easier to use for fortran?

How much experience do you have using libraries with Fortran? What Fortran compiler are you using to build the FGSL library?

SteamKing said:
What Fortran compiler are you using to build the FGSL library?

And which operating system? Those instructions look like they're for one of the GNU Fortran compilers (g77 or gfortran) on a Unix- or Linux-based computer.

SteamKing said:
How much experience do you have using libraries with Fortran? What Fortran compiler are you using to build the FGSL library?
actually none I just started learning fortran about 3 weeks

jtbell said:
And which operating system? Those instructions look like they're for one of the GNU Fortran compilers (g77 or gfortran) on a Unix- or Linux-based computer.
I use windows 7 I couldn't find any other instruction in the site.I had thought about what you are saying .instruction wasn't really clear :D

Well, exactly which routines from FGSL do you need in your program?

Since the sources are available, perhaps making a whole library at this point would be unnecessary, until you have acquired more experience with Fortran.

1. What is the purpose of adding a library to Fortran?

Adding a library to Fortran allows you to access additional functions and subroutines that are not built into the language. This can make your code more efficient and versatile.

2. How do I add a library to Fortran?

The specific steps for adding a library will vary depending on your compiler and operating system. However, in general, you will need to specify the library name and location in your code and link it during the compilation process. It is recommended to refer to your compiler's documentation for detailed instructions.

3. Are there any free libraries available for Fortran?

Yes, there are many free libraries available for Fortran that can be used for various purposes such as numerical computation, data processing, and graphics. Some popular options include LAPACK, BLAS, and OpenMP. You can search for and download these libraries from online repositories or package managers.

4. Can I create my own library in Fortran?

Yes, you can create your own library in Fortran by writing a collection of functions and subroutines and compiling them into a shared library file. You can then use this library in your Fortran programs like any other external library. This can be useful for organizing and reusing your own code.

5. How do I know which library to use for my Fortran program?

The library you choose will depend on the specific needs of your program. It is important to research and understand the capabilities and limitations of each library before deciding which one to use. You can also consult with other Fortran users or seek guidance from online communities or forums for recommendations.