Adding another major to my physics degree

In summary, the speaker has just completed their first semester studying towards a BSc in physics, which was initially fueled by their interest in space. However, they are now considering adding another major in finance, either as a double major or a triple major with physics and math. They are seeking advice on whether this would hold them back in their pursuit of a career in physics.
lagwagon555
Hi all, I've just finished my first semester of study towards a BSc in physics. My original desire to study physics was fuelled by space. Working on anything, from spaceflight to theoretical physics really, really interested me. However, most people here have said that it's too specific of a goal to work towards, you can't just aim for a space related job.

Regardless if this is true or not, it got me thinking. I was thinking of adding another major to my physics degree, to try and diversify a bit. The only other career which seemed interesting to me was a career in finance. I've already been reading about and following markets, investments, currency and so on. And I think business is more my forte (parents/career advisers were screaming at me to go to law school). So, I was considering transferring to a conjoint BCom/BSc degree in finance and physics. But, will this hold me back, if I do end up choosing to go down the physics path? You get to complete all the courses you would normally, so I wouldn't be missing any physics. So I don't know how it could hold me back, but best to check with PF, I guess!

And, in addition to this, it turns out that I'm able to add a double major to my degree. So, as an alternative, I could choose to just do a BSc, double majoring in maths and physics. This will definitely be harder than a single major, but if there is any benefits, I'll definitely take it on. Or, I could go for the BCom/BSc, and triple major (finance, physics and maths). This would most likely be easier, since I could spread out my physics/maths courses (you get an extra year to complete a conjoint), and raise my GPA by completing the relatively easy finance courses.

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to check out https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=322987", which discusses adding a math major and its effect on graduate admission. Physics graduate admissions committees may not be as likely to give a small boost for a dual major in finance... but that wouldn't necessarily hold you back in physics unless it effects your physics course selection and performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your desire to diversify your education and explore different career options. Adding another major to your physics degree can definitely be beneficial, as it will give you a broader range of skills and knowledge. It is also important to note that many industries, including finance, value individuals with a strong background in physics and mathematics.

However, it is important to consider how adding another major may affect your overall academic workload and your future career goals. Will it take away from your focus and dedication to physics? Will it delay your graduation or affect your GPA?

I would recommend discussing your options with an academic advisor or career counselor to help you make an informed decision. They can provide valuable insight and help you evaluate the pros and cons of each option. Additionally, talking to individuals in the fields you are interested in can also give you a better understanding of the job market and the skills and qualifications that are in demand.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests, strengths, and career goals. Remember that it is possible to have a successful career in physics without specializing in a specific area such as space. Your passion for the subject and your strong foundation in physics will open up many opportunities for you.

Best of luck in your studies and future career endeavors!

1. Can I add another major to my physics degree?

Yes, it is possible to add another major to your physics degree. Many universities offer the option to double major or pursue a minor in addition to your major. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that you are able to fulfill all the requirements for both majors within your desired timeframe.

2. How will adding another major affect my graduation timeline?

Adding another major may extend your graduation timeline, as you will need to complete all the required courses for both majors. It is important to plan ahead and make sure you have enough time to complete all the necessary coursework. Some universities may also offer accelerated programs for students pursuing two majors, so it is worth checking with your academic advisor.

3. Will adding another major be too difficult or overwhelming?

It depends on the specific majors you are pursuing and your own personal abilities and time management skills. Adding another major will require you to take on a heavier course load and may be more challenging, but it can also be a rewarding and enriching experience. It is important to plan ahead and make sure you are able to handle the workload before committing to another major.

4. Can I add any major to my physics degree?

It depends on the specific university and their policies. Some universities may have restrictions on which majors can be combined, while others may have more flexibility. It is important to check with your academic advisor to see which majors are available for you to add to your physics degree.

5. How will adding another major benefit me in my future career?

Adding another major can provide you with a more well-rounded education and a diverse skill set, which can be beneficial in many career paths. It can also open up more job opportunities and make you stand out to potential employers. However, it is important to choose a second major that aligns with your career goals and interests.