Adding Harmonics to Form the Final Signal

In summary: So, (2PI/T)*t would be (2*3.14)/(1/50)*t, or (100*3.14)*t. This formula is used to calculate the phase shift in the cosine function, which is used to graph the signal over time. The value of t represents the time in seconds, and the resulting graph would show the changes in the signal over time. In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula for resulting harmonic, the meaning of syntesizing and effective value of a signal, and the representation of data in Excel or other graphing apps. It also touches on the relationship between harmonics and the fundamental frequency, and the use of a formula to calculate the phase shift in the cosine
MisterP
Homework Statement
Hello. Could someone help me?
I have to:
1) from given harmonics syntesize signal
2) calculate effective value of signal
3) represent resultant signal
Specs:
I assume frequency is 50hz
Table given below
Relevant Equations
A0/2 + A1*cos ("what goes here?" + Fi1) + etc..
Formula I have shows is probably for resulting harmonic? Does syntesizing mean writing the main formula? I havo no clue about effective value of signal and representation is probably done in excel or other graphing app.

harmonikas.sized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inside the cosine should be a frequency *time + phase shift. What do you know about the harmonics in relation to the fundamental frequency? Are you sure about the A0/2 ? Usually f0 would be the fundamental freq. Then f1 is first harmonic etc.

Likes berkeman
Try graphing it.

scottdave said:
Inside the cosine should be a frequency *time + phase shift. What do you know about the harmonics in relation to the fundamental frequency? Are you sure about the A0/2 ? Usually f0 would be the fundamental freq. Then f1 is first harmonic etc.
Thanks for response. I am not sure about A0/2, but I have seen it in books. I found formula where it says (2PI/T)*t + phase comes in cosine function. What is "(2PI/T)*t"? PI refers to 3.14

Ok, I have come to some conclusion, i hope it is right.
So, first comes base harmonic and it is devided by 2. A0/2, then adding other harmonics + A1*cos(314-0.68) + etc
So, 314 is because I have 50hz frequency and -0.68 is my angle in radians.

MisterP said:
Thanks for response. I am not sure about A0/2, but I have seen it in books. I found formula where it says (2PI/T)*t + phase comes in cosine function. What is "(2PI/T)*t"? PI refers to 3.14
Sorry for being slow to reply. In this context T is the Period (time of one complete cycle). In your example of 50 Hz frequency, the period is (1/50) seconds.

1. What are harmonics in the context of forming a final signal?

Harmonics are higher frequency components that are added to the original signal to create a more complex and rich final signal. They are multiples of the fundamental frequency of the original signal.

2. Why would you want to add harmonics to a signal?

Adding harmonics can change the timbre or tone quality of a signal, making it sound more interesting and dynamic. It can also increase the perceived loudness of the signal.

3. How do you add harmonics to a signal?

Harmonics can be added to a signal through various methods such as frequency modulation, amplitude modulation, or using a filter to boost certain frequencies. Digital audio software also often has built-in tools for adding harmonics.

4. Can harmonics be harmful to a signal?

While harmonics can enhance a signal, too many or improperly added harmonics can cause distortion and unwanted noise. It is important to carefully adjust and balance the amount and type of harmonics used.

5. Are there any real-world applications for adding harmonics to a signal?

Yes, harmonics are commonly used in audio engineering and music production to create more interesting and dynamic sounds. They are also used in signal processing for tasks such as noise reduction and audio enhancement.