Adding heat for final temperature

In summary: If you are using a specific heat of 1 for water you are working in calories/g. Kelvin. If you want the answer in joules you have to multiply the answer by 4.186 (ie. 4.186 J in one cal.). The specific heat for water in Joules/Kg K is 4186.
shakejuhn

Homework Statement

How much heat is required to raise the temperature of 0.250kg of water from 20.0oC to 30.0oC?

If this amount of heat is added to an equal mass of mercury that is initially at 20.0oC, what is its final temperature?

Homework Equations

Q=c*M*(t2-t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first part i got
q=1*0.250*(30.0-20.0)
q=10.4725
this is wrong the correct answer was 1.05*10^4
how did they get that answer?

The second part i have so far
1.05*10^4=c*0.250*(t2-20)
it didnt say what the spefice heat of mercury was so i looked it up and it was 0.140
1.05*10^4=0.140*0.250*(t2-20)
1.05*10^4/(.035)+20

please help with this

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part why are you using 1 for c? Look up the specific heat of water. Regardless, I don't see how you got 10.4725 from your equation for q. Is there a typo in there somewhere?

shakejuhn said:

Homework Statement

How much heat is required to raise the temperature of 0.250kg of water from 20.0oC to 30.0oC?

If this amount of heat is added to an equal mass of mercury that is initially at 20.0oC, what is its final temperature?

Homework Equations

Q=c*M*(t2-t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first part i got
q=1*0.250*(30.0-20.0)
q=10.4725
this is wrong the correct answer was 1.05*10^4
how did they get that answer?

The second part i have so far
1.05*10^4=c*0.250*(t2-20)
it didnt say what the spefice heat of mercury was so i looked it up and it was 0.140
1.05*10^4=0.140*0.250*(t2-20)
1.05*10^4/(.035)+20

please help with this

You have to be clear on your units. You appear to be working in calories and kg. If so, you have to use a specific heat for water in calories/kg deg not calories/g deg.

AM

i just said find the answer in joules

shakejuhn said:
i just said find the answer in joules
If you are using a specific heat of 1 for water you are working in calories/g. Kelvin. If you want the answer in joules you have to multiply the answer by 4.186 (ie. 4.186 J in one cal.). The specific heat for water in Joules/Kg K is 4186.

AM

Last edited:

What is the purpose of adding heat for final temperature?

The purpose of adding heat for final temperature is to increase the temperature of a substance or system to a desired level. This can be done for various reasons, such as to initiate a chemical reaction, to change the physical state of a substance, or to reach a specific temperature for a certain process or experiment.

How do you calculate the amount of heat to add for final temperature?

The amount of heat needed to reach a final temperature can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This calculation takes into account the specific properties of the substance and the desired final temperature.

What happens to the temperature of a substance when heat is added?

When heat is added to a substance, its temperature will increase. This is because heat is a form of energy that is transferred to the particles of the substance, causing them to move faster and increase their kinetic energy. As a result, the average movement of the particles increases, leading to an increase in temperature.

What are the different methods for adding heat for final temperature?

There are various methods for adding heat to increase the temperature of a substance, such as using a Bunsen burner, a hot plate, or an oven. Additionally, heat can also be transferred through conduction, convection, or radiation, depending on the situation and the properties of the substance.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when adding heat for final temperature?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when adding heat for final temperature. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling heat sources. It is also crucial to be aware of flammable materials and proper ventilation to prevent accidents or injuries. It is recommended to follow all safety guidelines and procedures provided by the experiment or process being conducted.