Addition of Vectors by means of Components

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 10K views
RKNY
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A football player runs the pattern given in the drawing by the three displacement vectors A, B, and C. The magnitudes of these vectors are A = 5 m, B = 14.0 m, and C = 23.0 m. Using the component method, find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector A + B + C
http://www.webassign.net/CJ/cj6_1-55.gif" .


Homework Equations


Rx = Ax + Bx + Cx
Ry = Ay + By + Cy



The Attempt at a Solution


Components of A
Ax = 0
Ay = 5

Components of B
Bx = 14.0
By = 0

Components of C
Cx = 18.8
Cy = -23.0

Rx = 32.8
Ry = -18.2

Took the square root of Rx^2 + Ry^2 and found it out to be the answer of 37.5.

I put it in but it tells me that it isn't right?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cristo said:
Check your y component of vector C.

It worked out okay, thanks a bunch!
 
I have that exact problem now, and I can't come up with the correct answer
 
Welcome to PF!

pstfleur said:
I have that exact problem now, and I can't come up with the correct answer

Hi pstfleur! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've done, and where you're stuck, and then we'll be able to help! :wink:
 
Thanks a lot thou, I will be sure to use this site through out the semester :)!
 
Can somebody please tell me how to figure out Cx and Cy. I'm completely lost on how to get those values.
 
Make a right triangle with C being the hypotenuse. Use the 35-degree angle in your construction.