Addition of vectors with triangle vertices

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of the vectors connecting the vertices of a triangle, which can be represented as <A+B+C>i + <A+B+C>j. However, it is pointed out that the sum cancels out and comes to 0.
ddtozone

Homework Statement

If A, B, and C are the vertices of a triangle, find the following.
(A→B) + (B→C) + (C→A)

The answer has to be given like this:

_____ i + _____ j

2. Homework Equations (I think?)
a+b=b+a
a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c
a+0=a
a+(-a)=0
c(a+b)=ca+cb
(c+d)a=ca+da
(cd)a=c(da)
1a=a

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure what kind of solution this should look like. My best guess would be
<A+B+C>i + <A+B+C>j
Any better, more sensible ideas? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The vector connecting A to B is given by the vector (B-A), where B and A are the coordinates of the points. Add up all three terms. What do you get?

Oh okay, so it all cancels out and comes to 0. That makes sense. Thank you!

1. What is the concept of adding vectors with triangle vertices?

The concept of adding vectors with triangle vertices involves using the triangle law of vector addition to find the resultant vector of two or more given vectors that form the sides of a triangle. This method is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the net force or displacement of an object.

2. How do you add vectors with triangle vertices?

To add vectors with triangle vertices, you first need to draw a triangle with the given vectors as its sides. Then, use the triangle law of vector addition, which states that the resultant vector is equal to the sum of the other two vectors. This can be done by placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resultant vector is the line connecting the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector.

3. What is the importance of adding vectors with triangle vertices?

Adding vectors with triangle vertices is important because it allows us to calculate the net effect of multiple forces or displacements acting on an object. This is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation, where it is necessary to determine the overall result of multiple vectors acting on an object.

4. Can vectors with triangle vertices be added if they are not coplanar?

No, vectors with triangle vertices can only be added if they are coplanar, meaning they lie on the same plane. If the vectors are not coplanar, then the triangle law of vector addition cannot be applied, and other methods of vector addition, such as the parallelogram law, must be used.

5. Are there any limitations to adding vectors with triangle vertices?

One limitation of adding vectors with triangle vertices is that it only applies to two or three vectors. If there are more than three vectors, the process becomes more complex, and other methods of vector addition must be used. Additionally, this method can only be used for vectors that are in the same plane and act on the same point.