Addressing a professor in email with first name

In summary, if a professor concludes an email to you with just his first name, you should not start your reply with "Dear Professor". You can address him as "Dr. so-and-so" or "Dr. XXX".
nonequilibrium
Hey,

Not sure if this subforum is the ideal place for it, but in some way I am asking for academic guidance, so...

I was wondering: if a professor concludes his email to me using just his first name, is it then good etiquette to start my reply with "Dear [first name]"?

I suppose the fact he ended with his first name is an indication I shouldn't worry about formality, but even if not just in this case it's something I like to know for sure for future reference, cause I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea about this one. My research supervisor always ends his emails with his first name, but I've never felt comfortable calling professors by their first name unless they specifically ask me to.

if he ends his email with his first name then I see no issue with addressing him as such.

Until I know a professor and can gauge how casual they are I do not address them by their first name. I try to keep things formal.

nonequilibrium said:
Hey,

Not sure if this subforum is the ideal place for it, but in some way I am asking for academic guidance, so...

I was wondering: if a professor concludes his email to me using just his first name, is it then good etiquette to start my reply with "Dear [first name]"?

I suppose the fact he ended with his first name is an indication I shouldn't worry about formality, but even if not just in this case it's something I like to know for sure for future reference, cause I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Unless you and him have been working closely for a long time and know each other well enough, you should continue to address him as Dr. So-and-so. Most prof. are seldom conceited enough to call themselves or sign their letters/email with their title.

Zz.

Likes 1 person
Alright, professor [last name] it is!

deekin said:
I have no idea about this one. My research supervisor always ends his emails with his first name, but I've never felt comfortable calling professors by their first name unless they specifically ask me to.

Yep, and even then I would call them Dr. XXX, one once said, damn it Integral* my name is Dave!

*not the name he used, but close enough.

One other thing, all of you say "Dr". But in my previous email I addressed him as "Professor" because I was mailing in relation to a course he was lecturing. Just to make sure: this is also okay?

Dr. or Professor are usually fine - although, just because he's teaching a course doesn't mean he's a full professor. That's a common mistake though and not one that you're likely to receive any grief over.

This is just my opinion, but I feel that when you're an undergraduate student, it's title and last name unless you're told otherwise. This changes by the time you become a graduate student. Generally it's acceptable for graduate students to use first names with the professors they work with on a regular basis. Although in a formal or semi-formal environment, such as when presenting a poster at a conference, you should still refer to your supervisor by last name.

That said, you also have to read the person. Some people are offended by formality. Others are offended by a lack of it. In my experience those who don't like formality will tell you up front. Those who prefer it will passively take mental notes about those who fail to use it. So when in doubt, go with the more formal route.

"Dr." versus "Professor" can vary from one school to another. At my undergraduate school and at the school where I work now, it's "Dr." At the school where I first taught after grad school, it's "Professor." (assuming both titles actually apply to the person in question, of course)

At the undergraduate level I think it would be very unusual for a student to address a professor by first name. I didn't address my former undergraduate physics professor by first name (on return visits) until after at least after I'd been in graduate school for a few years, maybe not until after I finished my Ph.D.

nonequilibrium said:
One other thing, all of you say "Dr". But in my previous email I addressed him as "Professor" because I was mailing in relation to a course he was lecturing. Just to make sure: this is also okay?

At my undergrad it was "Dr." for those with PhD's and "Mr."/"Ms." for those without. At the time I don't think I ever heard anyone addressed as "Professor".

At my university, most of the professors/people with formal titles just get referred to by their first names. But if you're speaking/e-mailing someone you haven't met before, just use their title. Worst case scenario is that they just tell you to use their first name.

If in doubt, it is ALWAYS better to "over-respect" someone than "under-respect" him/her.

Zz.

It is very common, even in a hierarchical setting for people to sign off with their first names - this applies not just to Academia, but also to other organisations. They may either completely dispense with titles or sign off with their first names and place their full title, contact info, etc. in a canned email signature that appears below this. It's considered fairly pretentious, even pompous, for people to sign off with their full titles in an email unless the setting is absolutely formal and serious - e.g. a letter of reprimand.

But just because people commonly dispense with their titles, it doesn't entitle (forgive the pun) you to do so. Unless you really know the person (e.g. you've worked closely with him/her over a long period and developed a warm, collegial relationship), you definitely should use the title in any form of written communication. This goes double for any correspondence which is, or may be, cc-ed or forwarded to others.

My approach has always been (given I work with/for them) to call them by first name in private interactions or when with a third party that we both know well. But if there's a third-party that one of us doesn't know well, or in public, I address them by their formal title.

When I was a professor, I always preferred "Oh Great and Holy One" but, now that I think about it, no one ever called me that!

More seriously, when I was a graduate student, I would not have assumed anything from the Professor using his first name- my belief was that it was his call, not mine (after all, he was the "Great and Holy One"!). He could use my first name as often as he wished, but I would not use his first name until he had specifically invited me to.

Thanks for the clear answers everybody, I really didn't have a clue.

This is very interesting. In Norway, no one calls their Professors by their titles. The Professors dress casually and allow computers, cell phones (with sound off) and moderate talking in large auditories. I was used to this.

Then, I signed up for a class in academic writing. The Professor here was American. The first thing he said to us was, "I will not be called by my first name. My name is Professor, Mr., Sir, or Coach.". He allowed no cell-phones. If discovered, you had to leave. If the door was closed when you arrived late, you had to wait until the break. No making oral sounds in class - unless you were laughing from his jokes. He dressed in nice pants, sport coats, ties, and shirts. He demanded respect in the classroom, but was really nice in office meetings.

Bottom line: he is the best Professor I have ever had.

Related to Addressing a professor in email with first name

1. How should I address a professor in an email if they have signed off with their first name?

In this situation, it is appropriate to address the professor by their first name in your email response. This shows that you have taken note of their preferred form of address and are respecting their chosen name.

2. Is it considered disrespectful to address a professor by their first name in an email?

It depends on the culture and context, but in most cases, it is not considered disrespectful to address a professor by their first name in an email. However, if you are unsure, it is always best to err on the side of formality and use their title and last name.

3. Should I use a formal or informal tone when addressing a professor by their first name in an email?

It is generally acceptable to use a more informal tone when addressing a professor by their first name in an email. However, it is important to maintain a respectful and professional tone in all communication with your professor.

4. Can I address a professor by their first name in an email if I am a student?

Yes, it is appropriate to address a professor by their first name in an email, even if you are a student. However, it is always best to consider the context and culture of your institution and use their preferred form of address.

5. How can I find out a professor's preferred form of address for emails?

If a professor has not explicitly stated their preferred form of address, it is best to use their title and last name in your email. However, if you are unsure or would like to use their first name, you can always politely ask them in person or in the email itself.