Admissions Q: MS in Statistics @ OSU

• Admissions
  • Thread starter BoundByAxioms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Admissions
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on their chances of receiving an assistantship for an MS in Statistics program at Oregon State University. They have a strong academic background in math and biology, with research experience in both fields. The only concern is a B- in Real Analysis 1, but the speaker believes it will not greatly impact their chances of admission. They are also wondering if there are other ways to receive financial assistance, such as through research or being a TA.
BoundByAxioms
I originally posted this at testmagic.com's forum, but NO ONE seems to respond to anything at that forum. So here it goes:

I'm interested in applying for an MS in Statistics from Oregon State University (there are other schools, too but OSU is my top choice). I'm a math and biology double major, my GPA is 3.72 and I have two summers of research under my belt (one in molecular biology at my school, and another (currently in progress) in computational biology at a very prestigious medical school). In my math classes specifically, I have gotten mostly A's (Abstract algebra, differential equations, linear algebra, mathematical physics), mostly A's in my biology, chemistry and physics classes, and a few B+'s (multivariable calculus, introduction to mathematical proofs) but there is one big exception: I got a B- in Real Analysis 1 (We only offer one semester of it at my school). While I don't think this greatly impacts my chances of admission at OSU (real analysis is not mentioned as a prerequisite for their MA admissions), I am concerned as to whether or not this will impede my ability to receive financial assistance (specifically in the form of an assistantship). Does anyone have familiarity with OSU's program, and does anyone think that I have a chance of receiving an assistantship? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with that school, however there is more than one way to skin a cat. there tends to be a lot less "financial aid" for grad schools then for undergrad schools. For most people, the best way to get cash for grad school is by doing research and being a TA. If you already have some prestigious research accomplishments, this could be your ticket. The only downside is that you may have to stretch out the time you spend at grad school in order to have time to handle everything.

1. What are the admission requirements for the MS in Statistics program at OSU?

The admission requirements for the MS in Statistics program at OSU include a bachelor's degree in a related field such as mathematics, computer science, or engineering, a minimum GPA of 3.0, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

2. Is there a specific deadline for applying to the MS in Statistics program at OSU?

Yes, the deadline for applying to the MS in Statistics program at OSU is typically in early January for fall admission. However, it is recommended to check the program's website for the most up-to-date information.

3. Are there any prerequisite courses required for the MS in Statistics program at OSU?

Yes, applicants are required to have completed at least one year of calculus and one semester of linear algebra. Some programming experience in languages such as R, Python, or SAS is also recommended.

4. What is the average class size for the MS in Statistics program at OSU?

The average class size for the MS in Statistics program at OSU is around 15-20 students. This allows for a more personalized and interactive learning experience.

5. Are there any financial aid or scholarship opportunities available for the MS in Statistics program at OSU?

Yes, there are various financial aid and scholarship opportunities available for students in the MS in Statistics program at OSU. These include graduate assistantships, scholarships specific to the program, and external funding opportunities. It is recommended to contact the program's financial aid office for more information.