1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adv. Math for Engineers and Scientists or App. Complex Analysis?

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    I'm a physics major and I have space for one more class the coming fall semester: either advanced mathematics for engineers and scientists or applied complex analysis.

Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists- Vector analysis, fourier analysis and partial differential equations. Prerequisites: Calc III and Differential Equations

Applied Complex Analysis- Analytic functions, complex integration, Taylor and Laurent series, residue theorem, conformal mapping, and harmonic functions. Prerequisite: Calc III

I'm leaning towards applied complex analysis because most of the topics in advanced mathematics for engineers and scientists will be covered in two classes I'll be taking later: Mathematical Methods in Physics I&II. Is complex analysis useful for the undergraduate physics major? (I will be taking Linear Algebra and a mathematical structures course at the same time.) Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    im taking applied complex analysis right now. i haven't learned anything i didn't already know or isn't exactly analogous to calculus. i guess eventually we'll get to calculus or residues but so far this class has been a joke and a waste of time. take the engineering math class. pdes and fourier series are important in quantum.

4. Mar 19, 2009 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would take the advanced math course, not the complex variables. The topics in the advanced math course you will use daily as a physics major and practicing physicist and the complex variables you'll learn as you need them.

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4
    I'd also take the advanced math course... particularly because it has Fourier Analysis and PDE. I took a course that covered similar material (called "Boundary Value Problems") and it was one of the best (most useful) courses I ever had in mathematics.

6. Mar 20, 2009 #5
    Alrighty then. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

7. Mar 20, 2009 #6
    Complex analysis shows up all over the place if you dig beneath the surface a bit. It's also a very pretty subject from a purely mathematical point of view.

Now I agree with everyone here that Fourier analysis and PDE are very very important for physics and engineering. However, if you are going to learn it in another class anyways, why not take complex analysis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook