1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Doppler effect questions

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement
    1) A train whistle has a frequency of 1000 Hz. If the train is speeding
    at a velocity of 60 km/h past a stationary railroad crossing
    attendant, what is the apparent frequency a) as the train approaches him, b) as it moves away from him?
    Assume speed of sound to be 350 m/s.

2) A second train is approaching the first train (above) with a speed of
    60 km/h. Obtain the frequency of the whistle of the first as heard by
    the engineer of the second train.

3) Sound is reflected by a screen moving with a speed 20 km/h toward
    the source and observer. If the frequency of the source is 450 khz,
    what is the apparent frequency of the reflected sound?

2. Relevant equations

f2 = f1Vs/(Vs + or - Vo), f2 = f1(1 + or - Vo/Vs)

meh I'm really not that quite sure :S

3. The attempt at a solution

I could calculate number 1 using the doppler effect equation f2 = f1Vs/(Vs + or - Vo), but I'm not quite sure how to solve for number 2 and 3... help please ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2
    i think (not 100% sure) for part 2 and 3 you can use the same method as part 1 except the velocity will be the sum of the 2. so for part 2 the total velocity will be 60 + 60 = 120 km/h

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do Vs and Vo mean?

Look up the Doppler formula for sound. There's a formula for when the source is moving and another for when the observer is moving. Of course you can combine them into a single formula when both are moving.

No, that's not the right way to solve part 2. Instead you must combine the effect of a moving source (Vs) and a moving observer (Vo) using the complete Doppler formula.

For part 3, the reflecting screen becomes the source. Apply the Doppler formula twice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook