Advanced Functions,Exponential Functions

In summary, the question is asking at what point in time was the bacteria population half of its present population if it doubles in 7 days. This can be solved using the exponential growth/decay formula A = A₀(1+i)^n. However, the question can also be solved without using a calculator or formula by understanding the relationship between doubling and halving.
ohhnana

Homework Statement

If a bacteria population doubles in 7 days, when was it half of its present population?

Homework Equations

A=A0(1+i)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

i= 100%=1

Physics news on Phys.org
ohhnana said:

Homework Statement

If a bacteria population doubles in 7 days, when was it half of its present population?

Homework Equations

A=A0(1+i)^n

The Attempt at a Solution

i= 100%=1
If the bacteria population now is 500,000, when was the population 250,000?

what ?

What part of my question did you not understand? This problem is not a complicated one, and you don't need a calculator or any formulas to answer the question.

Have you ever seen [tex]P = e^{rt}[/tex] before?

Usually, I would recommend exponential growth/decay for bacteria situations.

Furthermore,

Mark44 said:
...This problem is not a complicated one, and you don't need a calculator or any formulas to answer the question.

"Doubling" and "halving" are very closely related!

yea i seen that formula before , so your saying it's impossible to complete the question?

No, I don't think he is. Can you answer my question: If the bacteria population now is 500,000, when was the population 250,000?

in your question would it be in 7 days and if so wouldn't it be in 3.5 days

No, you misunderstood. If the bacteria population was 500,000 today, when in the past was the population 250,000?

Let's put it a different way- if the population is 250000 today,when will it be 500000? To answer Mark44's question, work backwards from that.

What is an advanced function?

An advanced function is a mathematical function that is more complex and can involve multiple variables and operations. These functions are often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model real-world phenomena.

How are advanced functions different from basic functions?

Advanced functions typically involve more complex operations and can have multiple variables, while basic functions only have one input and output. Advanced functions are also used to model real-world situations, whereas basic functions are more abstract.

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = ax, where a is a constant and x is the exponent. These functions are characterized by a rapid increase or decrease in values as the input variable increases. They are commonly used to model growth, decay, and exponential growth in various fields.

How are exponential functions used in real life?

Exponential functions are used to model various real-world phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest. They can also be used to predict future values based on current trends and data.

What are some common applications of advanced and exponential functions?

Advanced and exponential functions are used in a wide range of fields, including economics, finance, engineering, physics, and biology. They are used to model and predict various phenomena, such as economic growth, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also essential in creating mathematical models and simulations to understand complex systems and make predictions.