1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advantages of a half bridge over a full bridge (wheatstone)

1. May 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi Guys,

I know that, when measuring strain using gauges, using a full wheatstone bridge over a half bridge will give you double the sensitivity (Vout = NEGS/4, with N=2 for half and N=4 for full). But why would you use a hald bridge over a full one? What are the advantages?

Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can think of cost, you only need half the number of gauges.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 8, 2015 #3
    There are 1/4, 1/2, and full bridge gauge arrangements each with their own advantages. These come in types I and II. Which type are you referring to?

However, one of the main concerns with remote sensors stationed away from power sources and sensing amplifiers is the number balanced impedence wire count. What is the wire count required for a half bridge vs. full bridge (for the sensor types you have been introduced to)?

The specific application (what sort of strain is being measured?) also dictates the type of sensor arrangement is most applicable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted