• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Advantages of a half bridge over a full bridge (wheatstone)

• Thread starter GBA13
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,

I know that, when measuring strain using gauges, using a full wheatstone bridge over a half bridge will give you double the sensitivity (Vout = NEGS/4, with N=2 for half and N=4 for full). But why would you use a hald bridge over a full one? What are the advantages?

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can think of cost, you only need half the number of gauges.

Answers and Replies

Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

There are 1/4, 1/2, and full bridge gauge arrangements each with their own advantages. These come in types I and II. Which type are you referring to?

However, one of the main concerns with remote sensors stationed away from power sources and sensing amplifiers is the number balanced impedence wire count. What is the wire count required for a half bridge vs. full bridge (for the sensor types you have been introduced to)?

The specific application (what sort of strain is being measured?) also dictates the type of sensor arrangement is most applicable.