1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half controlled single bridge rectifier

1. Dec 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A half controlled single bridge rectifier is supplying an R-L load. It is operated at firing angle 'alpha'. Load current is continous. What is fraction of cycle that the freewheeling diode conducts?

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2016-12-1_14-52-25.png
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I guess each diode will conduct for half the cycle like from 0 to pie and then from pie to 2 pie, the other diode will conduct.
    So the answer must be 1/2. But book answer is alpha / pie.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

None of the 4 devices shown in your OP is a free-wheeling diode. Why is there no such diode shown in a question that apparently refers to it? :oldconfused:

4. Dec 1, 2016 #3
  5. Dec 1, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

FWD in your attachment is a freewheeling diode.

6. Dec 1, 2016 #5
    So it's a diode parallel to RL load with anode of diode towards up and cathode facing down.
    Thanks.

7. Dec 1, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

If load current is continuous, then the diodes in the rectifier must share conduction equally and your original answer would have to be right.

There is "freewheeling" operation due to the load inductance, otherwise load current could not be continuous. But I am not sure whether the 2 diodes that form half of the bridge are usually referred to as freewheeling diodes, though. I'll have to look at this more closely.

It's the diode directly across the load that I think of as the classic freewheeling diode.

8. Dec 1, 2016 #7
    I tried with ur concept of FWD and got this answer as:
    upload_2016-12-1_18-58-36.png
    upload_2016-12-1_18-59-33.png

Thus i get the book answer.
    Book has also given another explanation. They have taken fwd as diode D1 and D2.
    They said that from
    1) from alpha to pie, current flows through T1, load, D2
    2) from pie to pie + alpha, current flows from T1 load, D1
    So D1 is in freewheeling mode only in second case. Duration is pie + alpha - pie which is alpha. This happens in each half cycle of sine wave, so twice in full cycle.
    Fraction is 2 * alpha divide by 2 * pie which gives alpha/pie.

But i like first explanation of mine better where ur concept of FWD is used. Thanks..

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted