Advice for Adam: Physics Books for a Junior Major

In summary, the books physicists recommend for a junior majoring in physics are Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, and Quantum Mechanics.
the ads 13
Hi,
I'm a junior physics major intending on a PhD in physics. I was wondering what books physicists recommend? I would like to read A Breif History of Time but I think I know most of the things in the book and would like something more advanced with plenty of math. Occupation wise, I am stuck between wanting to research the very big (the cosmos) or the very small (particles, quarks, etc.). Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey I'm in your exact position as an up and coming junior majoring in physics. I have also had a tough time finding books that are aimed at my curiosities, while appealing to my level of understanding. I haven't had much success, but, if you ever feel like reading something intriguing that isn't too dense, I did find that try Ernst Mach makes a good and often illuminating read on the philosophy of physics moreso,. For example, History of the Conservation of Energy was a good one.

Feynman's Lectures on Physics. I'm guessing you've already heard of it considering the fact that you're a physics major. It provides THE BEST overview of most if not all topics and branches of physics. I'm currently a junior too and I'll tell you it is very challenging at points but very rewarding to be able to understand and apply Feynman's intuition towards science as a whole.

Volume 1: mechanics
Volume 2: e&m
Volume 3: quantum

Alright, thanks for the replies guys.

Also TehBigBoss, I am researching Feynman's books and see that there's some other works called "Six Easy Pieces" and "Six Not So Easy Pieces." Are these Feynman's lectures in a condensed form?

Nope. Six easy pieces are the first six chapters of volume one of the FLP (Feynman Lectures On Physics). Its a bit pricey I know but being a physics major yourself I would just add it to this semester's textbook list. If money is a serious issue I would just get the PDF which can be found from a quick Google search. But I got to tell you those three volumes will look good on anyone's desk.

I think the other one is just six harder lectures pulled from all the other lectures and volumes. Not 100% sure if its cross volume or just from volume three.

Download the PDF files. Fall in love. Buy the three volume set. That's what I did.

Haha alright thanks, will do.

Related to Advice for Adam: Physics Books for a Junior Major

1. What is "Advice for Adam: Physics Books for a Junior Major"?

"Advice for Adam: Physics Books for a Junior Major" is a list of recommended physics books for undergraduate students pursuing a major in physics. It includes both introductory and advanced texts that cover a variety of topics in physics.

2. Who is this list intended for?

This list is intended for junior-level undergraduate students majoring in physics who are looking for supplementary reading materials to enhance their understanding of the subject.

3. How were the books on this list selected?

The books on this list were selected based on their relevance, comprehensiveness, and readability. They have been recommended by experienced physicists and have been widely used in undergraduate physics courses.

4. Are these books suitable for self-study or should they be used in conjunction with a course?

These books can be used for both self-study and as supplementary materials for a physics course. However, they are not meant to replace a traditional textbook or course material.

5. Are there any specific recommendations for how to use this list?

This list is meant to be a starting point for students to explore different areas of physics and deepen their understanding of the subject. Students are encouraged to choose books that align with their interests and goals, and to consult with their professors for additional suggestions.