Advice for graduate school in Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on their career plans and is considering nuclear engineering as their focus. They have applied to graduate programs at Texas A&M and University of Texas, but are also open to other options such as electrical engineering. They are unsure of what to do if not accepted to their preferred programs, and are considering reapplying in the future and doing an internship. The speaker also mentions considering the University of Tennessee-Knoxville as an option for its strong research and funding program.
sgtovey
I would like some advice/comments on my next chapter in my life. I've been interested in nuclear engineering for the last two years, I will be graduating with my BS in applied physics this December and I have already applied to Texas A&M and University of Texas' nuclear engineering graduate programs; I did not do so well on the general GRE, but I will be retaking it at the beginning of November. I've also applied to other schools for electrical engineering, a subject that has always interested me, but I think I really want to do nuclear engineering.

Now, this is where I'm not sure of what I will do, assuming that neither of those schools admits me for the spring, I will probably get admitted to one of the other schools for EE; I know I will still work hard, but I don't think I would really be following what I'm passionate about.

Something that I was contemplating was to just reapply to A&M and UT for next fall and do some kind of internship during the spring and summer, then start grad school in the fall. However, I'm not even sure what kind of internships like that are out there; but that's what I'm contemplating. I'm not being pessimistic, I'm merely being realistic and trying to cover all options that I may have to take. Any constructive advice/criticism would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why just Texas A&M and UT? Why not other Nuclear engineering schools?

I know that University of Tennessee-Knoxville might not be ranked that highly, but there is a ridiculous amount of research and money that goes that program. I am currently a student in the undergrad program and I can tell you it's well funded. Also, ORNL is a huge plus in terms of the people you will be exposed to and the research done there. It will be moving up in the graduate rankings very quickly.

Thanks crazyisraelie, I'll have to check out that school. I applied to those because I really don't want to pay out of state tuition and fees...no sense in paying extra if I can get the same quality of education here, that's probably a flimsy excuse.

1. How important is research experience in graduate school for nuclear engineering?

Research experience is crucial for graduate school in nuclear engineering. It allows you to gain hands-on experience in conducting experiments and analyzing data, which are essential skills for a career in this field. Additionally, research experience can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs and future research opportunities.

2. What types of courses should I take in preparation for graduate school in nuclear engineering?

In preparation for graduate school in nuclear engineering, it is recommended to take courses in math, physics, chemistry, and engineering. These courses will provide you with a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and concepts that are necessary for success in this field.

3. How important are internships in graduate school for nuclear engineering?

Internships are highly recommended for graduate school in nuclear engineering. They provide you with practical experience in the industry, allowing you to apply the knowledge and skills you have learned in the classroom to real-world problems. Additionally, internships can help you network and make valuable connections for future job opportunities.

4. What research areas are currently popular in the field of nuclear engineering?

Some popular research areas in nuclear engineering include nuclear reactor design and safety, nuclear waste management and disposal, radiation detection and protection, and nuclear materials and fuels. However, the field is constantly evolving, and new research topics are emerging all the time.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful graduate school application for nuclear engineering?

Some tips for writing a successful graduate school application for nuclear engineering include highlighting your research experience, relevant coursework, and any internships or industry experience you may have. It's also important to have strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and a strong academic record. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly research the program and faculty you are applying to and tailor your application to fit their specific interests and expertise.