Advice for the design of an automatic door opener

In summary: I'm not sure about that, the designer is asking for a motor to rotate the door at 110 degrees in 20 seconds.I think it would be best to get a motor that can rotate the door at the required angle and speed. A linear actuator might work, but you'll need to be careful about the weight and width of the door.
cherrycoke
Hello all,

I need to design an automated trap door opener incorporating a motor and at least one of the following: gears, springs, or power screws. It is 36 inches wide and 48 inches long. It is hinged along its width. The door weighs 60 pounds. When closed it is flush with the floor. It must rotate to 110 degrees when opened in 20 seconds.

I've calculated how much power I would need to rotate the door at the angle and time constraint, but I do not know how to execute the design. I was thinking of using a linear actuator but I'm not sure how to incorporate that with the wide opening angle of the door. Linear actuators I have seen used to open doors so far have opened too slowly and at most 90 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you !

Engineering news on Phys.org
cherrycoke said:
Hello all,

I need to design an automated trap door opener incorporating a motor and at least one of the following: gears, springs, or power screws. It is 36 inches wide and 48 inches long. It is hinged along its width. The door weighs 60 pounds. When closed it is flush with the floor. It must rotate to 110 degrees when opened in 20 seconds.

I've calculated how much power I would need to rotate the door at the angle and time constraint, but I do not know how to execute the design. I was thinking of using a linear actuator but I'm not sure how to incorporate that with the wide opening angle of the door. Linear actuators I have seen used to open doors so far have opened too slowly and at most 90 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you !
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post your initial sketches and calculations? :smile:

Hello,

I hope the image attachment works. Here is my attempt at a kinematic approach first to find what HP motor I needed. Please let me know if I made wrong assumptions. Thank you!

eq3vvib.png

Likes bsheikho and berkeman
bsheikho said:
But that opens horizonatally, so the loading on the motor and opener are pretty light. He is asking about opening a trap door vertically, no?

berkeman said:
But that opens horizonatally, so the loading on the motor and opener are pretty light. He is asking about opening a trap door vertically, no?

True, though I don't see how this concept can't be applied vertically with a stronger motor.

Its basically how all windows open, use rotary motion to swing open the windows.
That example is a bit more complicated with a rail and bushing,

Is there any foot traffic on or around the top area of the trap door when it is closed.

Likes berkeman
Right angle gear motor is enough either worm gear box or helical type
You mentioned the size of the door as 36 in x 48 in but in your image it is in 'ft'

What is the most important factor to consider when designing an automatic door opener?

The most important factor to consider when designing an automatic door opener is safety. It is crucial to ensure that the door opener is equipped with sensors and safety features to prevent accidents and injuries.

What are the different types of automatic door openers available?

There are several types of automatic door openers, including motion sensor openers, push-button openers, and remote-controlled openers. Each type offers different features and functionalities, so it is important to choose one that best fits your needs.

What are the key features to look for in an automatic door opener?

Some key features to consider when designing an automatic door opener include the type of sensor used, the speed and strength of the opener, and the noise level. It is also important to consider the durability and maintenance requirements of the opener.

What is the average cost of an automatic door opener?

The cost of an automatic door opener can vary depending on the type, features, and brand. On average, a basic automatic door opener can cost anywhere from $200 to $500, while more advanced models can cost upwards of $1000.

How do I ensure that the automatic door opener is ADA compliant?

To ensure that the automatic door opener is ADA compliant, it is important to follow the guidelines set by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This includes ensuring that the door opener has appropriate sensor placement, minimum width and height requirements, and the appropriate amount of force needed to open the door.