Designing slider controller for controlling tilt angle of differential

In summary, the conversation is about designing a slider controller for controlling the tilt angle of propellers in a tilt rotor. The desired tilt range is from 90 degrees (vertically up) to 0 degrees (horizontally forward) and the controller needs to have full control over the tilt angle. The speaker is interested in using a servo system for this purpose and is seeking advice on how to design or obtain the necessary components. They also mention the use of a gear box and separate motor/actuator for rotating the differential. The conversation also touches on the use of potentiometers for measuring the tilt angle.
jaguar7
designing slider controller for controlling tilt angle of propellors

I've been working on designing a tilt rotor.

The propellers need to tilt from straight up to horizontally forward - 90 deg to 0 deg.

I need to design the tilting mechanism, but more specifically at the moment, what I'm trying to figure out, is the control mechanism. I want to use a slider controller, where all the way forward = 0 deg = horizontally forward = full forward thrust, and all the way back = 90 deg = vertically up = all power devoted to lift force.

I know that part of this involves mechanical engineering, but like I said before, what I'm concerned about at the moment is the actual electronic control mechanism.

And I guess I should maybe ask in the M.E. section if this will work: I want to use a system of a gear box (and a separate motor/actuator to rotate the differential) to tilt the rotors.

But what I want to ask the E.E. community specifically is where I would get the slider control system to control the tilt angle, or if it cannot be obtained, how to design it?

Thanks so much.

- Jagz

- Edit:

After some research I realize I need to use a servo system.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
*bump*

how is tilt angle measured?

a simple comparison of desired to measured angle is starting point and could be as simple as two potentionmeters.

look for articles on servo mechanisms

1. How does a slider controller work to control the tilt angle of a differential?

A slider controller is a type of input device that allows the user to adjust the position of a control element, such as a slider, to manipulate the output of a system. In the case of controlling the tilt angle of a differential, the slider controller would be connected to a motor or actuator that can adjust the angle of the differential. By moving the slider, the user can control the amount of force or torque applied to the differential, which will in turn affect its tilt angle.

2. What are the factors to consider when designing a slider controller for controlling tilt angle of a differential?

When designing a slider controller for this purpose, several factors must be taken into account. These include the desired range of tilt angles, the sensitivity and precision of the controller, the type of motor or actuator being used, and the overall size and placement of the controller for ease of use.

3. Can a slider controller be used for both manual and automated control of the tilt angle of a differential?

Yes, a slider controller can be used for both manual and automated control. In manual mode, the user directly adjusts the position of the slider to control the tilt angle. In automated mode, the slider controller can be connected to a computer or other control system that can adjust the slider based on pre-programmed instructions or real-time feedback from sensors.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy and precision of a slider controller for controlling tilt angle of a differential?

To ensure accuracy and precision, it is important to use high-quality components and design the controller with a suitable range and resolution for the desired tilt angle. Additionally, proper calibration and testing should be performed to ensure the controller is functioning correctly and providing accurate outputs.

5. Are there any alternative methods for controlling the tilt angle of a differential?

Yes, there are other methods for controlling the tilt angle of a differential, such as using a rotary encoder or a potentiometer. However, a slider controller may offer more intuitive and precise control for certain applications. Ultimately, the most suitable method will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the system being controlled.