Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing slider controller for controlling tilt angle of differential

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    designing slider controller for controlling tilt angle of propellors

I've been working on designing a tilt rotor.

The propellers need to tilt from straight up to horizontally forward - 90 deg to 0 deg.

I need to design the tilting mechanism, but more specifically at the moment, what I'm trying to figure out, is the control mechanism. I want to use a slider controller, where all the way forward = 0 deg = horizontally forward = full forward thrust, and all the way back = 90 deg = vertically up = all power devoted to lift force.

I know that part of this involves mechanical engineering, but like I said before, what I'm concerned about at the moment is the actual electronic control mechanism.

And I guess I should maybe ask in the M.E. section if this will work: I want to use a system of a gear box (and a separate motor/actuator to rotate the differential) to tilt the rotors.

But what I want to ask the E.E. community specifically is where I would get the slider control system to control the tilt angle, or if it cannot be obtained, how to design it?

Thanks so much.

- Jagz

- Edit:

After some research I realize I need to use a servo system.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2
    *bump*

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

how is tilt angle measured?

a simple comparison of desired to measured angle is starting point and could be as simple as two potentionmeters.

look for articles on servo mechanisms

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook