Advice for the future (phys/eng/medic)

• Thread starter deian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, students pursuing a career in physics should focus on developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as be open to learning new concepts. For engineering students, a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science, as well as communication and teamwork skills are crucial for future careers. Medical students should prioritize understanding biology, anatomy, and physiology, as well as cultivating empathy and communication skills for a successful career in medicine. For those interested in a research career in the sciences, gaining hands-on experience and staying updated on current research is important. When balancing coursework and extracurricular activities, it is important to manage time effectively and seek support when needed.
deian
Hi all,

I think this is my first proper post on here, it's a great forum and I will definitely be making good use of this forum in the future. I am just thinking out aloud here, and you guys know full well what you are talking about.

Right, I have an unconditional offer to go to college through Liverpool Uni (uk), to cut a long story short, I am 29, have been working since college in 1999 where i got my gnvq adv in IT, as a web designer, then factory worker, I have recently got my CompTIA A+ and N+ for the IT side (more of a backup thing for the recent recession), then I got thinking about more technical things.

I went from computers to electronics then to engineering then to physics.

So I applied to liverpool uni for physics and engineering foundation with a view to go to year one.

I am quite certain I will do the Physics based course in college which has phys, maths and i will opt for chem. The engineering one has math, phys, and opt geog or IT.

I am not certain how I will feel about things later on so I assume it would be wise to go for the physics one and start that and maybe do some of the electronic engineering if I feel the need, the end plan is to do Physics with Medical Applications and aim for a Medical Physicist job, seems to be a good future, with plenty of research there, and I feel the treatment of cancer would be a good idea overall for it's obvious benefits.

Finally, I looked at Mechatronics with Robotics at the engineering department in liverpool uni too, hence the application for engineering foundation, which could help in maint/service of medical machines.

The bottom line is, as scary and dangerous some of the machines (mri), techniques (gamma knifes) and materials (radioactive isotopes) used for medical physics are, they are stupidly fascinating aren't they!? That's the physics bit, the mechatroncics bit is the electronics, movements of the machines etc, all fascinating stuff, the (applications of) computers side to them I could become interested in... more than the IT (workflow, etc).

So I am just looking for what you guys think or recommend, what are the trends in the choosen fields, and what kind of salary does say a radiotherapy service engineer seem to get compared to being a medical physicist (grade A and B)? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Deian

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Deian,

It's great to hear that you are considering pursuing a career in the exciting and ever-evolving field of medical physics. Your background in IT, electronics, engineering, and physics will definitely be beneficial in this field, as it requires a combination of technical skills and scientific knowledge.

Based on your interests and goals, I would recommend focusing on the physics-based course in college and pursuing a degree in Physics with Medical Applications. This will give you a strong foundation in physics and also allow you to explore the applications of physics in the medical field. Additionally, you can always take courses in electronic engineering or mechatronics as electives or pursue a minor in these fields to further enhance your skills and knowledge.

In terms of trends in the field, medical physics is a rapidly growing and evolving field, with advancements in technology and techniques constantly being made. This makes it an exciting and dynamic field to work in. As for salaries, it can vary depending on the specific job and location, but typically medical physicists and radiotherapy service engineers are well-compensated for their specialized skills and knowledge.

My advice would be to continue researching and exploring your interests in the field of medical physics, and don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in the field for advice and guidance. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

FAQ: Advice for the future (phys/eng/medic)

1. What advice do you have for students pursuing a career in physics?

My advice for students pursuing a career in physics is to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These are essential for success in any field of science. Additionally, be open to learning new concepts and techniques, as the field of physics is constantly evolving.

2. What skills should engineering students focus on developing for their future careers?

Engineering students should focus on developing a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science. These skills will be crucial for solving complex engineering problems. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for collaborating with others in the field.

3. How can medical students prepare for a successful career in medicine?

Medical students should prioritize developing a strong understanding of biology, anatomy, and physiology. These are the foundations of medicine and will be important for diagnosing and treating patients. They should also cultivate empathy and communication skills to effectively interact with patients and colleagues.

4. What advice do you have for students interested in pursuing a research career in the sciences?

My advice for students interested in a research career in the sciences is to gain hands-on experience through internships or volunteer positions. This will help you develop practical skills and gain a better understanding of the research process. Additionally, stay updated on current research and be open to learning new methods and techniques.

5. How can students balance their coursework and extracurricular activities while preparing for their future careers?

It is important for students to prioritize their coursework and ensure they are meeting academic requirements. However, extracurricular activities can also be valuable for developing skills and networking. My advice would be to manage time effectively, prioritize tasks, and seek support from mentors or advisors when needed.