Advice needed on designing an electronic car finder

In summary, two students are looking for ideas for electronic design project in a 10-12 week period. Some ideas they are considering include a car finder, an audio delay system, and a prank call handler. They are also seeking suggestions for radio wave transmission and reception concepts and resources for designing a transmitter that can transmit a signal and receive a code in response. One student has a background in programming and the other has taken courses in analog and solid state electronics. They are both seeking guidance on what scope to focus on for their project.
trickae
ideas for EE design project

Me and my partner are currently looking for ideas we can implement in a 10-12 week period.

Some ideas we chose from our lecturers list are

* car finder - when you can't find your car in the parking lot.

* audio delay system - for movies that may have a certain phrase that was said that wasn't heard clearly - maybe the actor was using an accent or its a foreign film you're trying to understand, or maybe the language being spoken isn't your first - create a ckt that will locate the phrase, slow it down on playback and then resume normal viewing.

* prank call handler: when a prank call is detected form a known number or its someone you don't want to talk to, use the prank call handler to let them know their call is unwanted.

- at the moment I'm more keen on the car finder, while my partner is more keen on the audio delay system. Does anyone have any further ideas we can implement? I have to stress that this project focuses on electronic design (analog and solid state)

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
what concepts should i look into for radio wave transmission and reception? Does it fall under RF electronics?

Also where can i find resources for designing a radio wave transmitter - that transmits a signal - such as a code - and when the receiver receives the signal - relays a code back (say a HIGH) when its found?

i frankly don't know where to start researching this.

You mean like a LoJack? Or something like it to find your car in a parking lot?

Btw, it served no purpose starting so many threads on the subject - it just clutters up the forum.

What year is this project for? How much analog design have you studied? Do you have experience with uCs? DSP?

Re: Berkeman
Hi berkeman - this is a design course we take just before we start our thesis. I have to a couple of 3rd/4th year professional electives to take before i can worry about that.
i've done control, currently doing analog electronics. I'm a dual degree that's why i have some courses left for my EE side. However my partner has the following courses behind him:
*analog electronics
*solid state electronics
*microelectronic design

I have a strong background in programming/ software design.

what scope could we be looking at?

Re:russ_watters
- i'll look into a lojack
- had no idea such questions aren't warranted here or a public access forum.
- just started EE design this semester - kinda freaking out, i apologies.Edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoJack

i believe i'd be using a similar method - however it won't be that large scale. Most likely to help someone find their car if they forgot where they parked it. I'm thinking of ways of not having it constantly emit a signal - only as needed maybe.
I could have it broadcast through the radio antenna.

Last edited:
trickae said:
Re:russ_watters

- had no idea such questions aren't warranted here or a public access forum.
- just started EE design this semester - kinda freaking out, i apologies.
[/B]

trickae, what russ_watters was referring to was the way that you started three different threads simultaneously to ask basically the same question. Your questions were fine, but it is wrong in a carefully moderated technical forums like the PF to post the same question in multiple ways in multiple threads. The clutter and confusion that results slows everybody else down, as they try to figure out why there are multiple threads like that. And it makes us Mentors waste time trying to figure out what is going on, and whether we should try to merge some of the threads to clean things up.

Just ask a good question in a thread, and let the discussion progress. Posting the same question multiple times/ways in different threads is not allowed on the PF.

oh sorry about that.

1. What factors should be considered when designing an electronic car finder?

The most important factors to consider when designing an electronic car finder are the size and weight of the device, battery life, range and accuracy of the signal, compatibility with different types of vehicles, and ease of use for the user. Other factors may include cost, durability, and additional features such as remote start or automatic locking.

2. How does an electronic car finder work?

An electronic car finder typically works by using radio frequency (RF) technology to communicate between the device and the car. The device sends out a signal that is picked up by a receiver in the car, which then triggers the car's horn or lights to make it easier to locate. Some car finders also use GPS technology to track the car's location on a map.

3. Can an electronic car finder be used with any type of vehicle?

Most electronic car finders are compatible with any type of vehicle, as long as it has a functioning horn or lights. However, some car finders may be specifically designed for certain types of vehicles, such as cars with keyless entry systems or older models without advanced technology.

4. Is it possible to have multiple electronic car finders for one car?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple electronic car finders for one car. Each car finder would need to be programmed to the same vehicle, and they would all work independently of each other. This could be useful for households with multiple drivers or for keeping track of multiple cars.

5. Are there any security concerns with using an electronic car finder?

As with any electronic device, there is a potential for security concerns with using an electronic car finder. It is important to choose a reputable and secure device from a trusted manufacturer. Additionally, it is recommended to change the security code frequently and avoid sharing it with others. It is also important to be aware of the range of the device and not leave it in a visible or easily accessible location in the car.