Advice on Actualizing My Goals

• Thread starter Caramon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goals
In summary, the individual is passionate about space and aspires to make a difference in the field through education and career. They have a clear plan for pursuing an Honours degree in Astrophysics and a minor in History and Philosophy of Science. They are also interested in promoting space exploration and increasing scientific awareness through involvement in organizations and staying current with developments in the field. Overall, their plan has validity and with dedication and hard work, they can make a positive impact.
Caramon
Well... although I thought of throwing my computer out the window a minute ago I think that it's fortunate that my entire life story I just typed up didn't get submitted due to the power going out (I hate wasting an hour of my life). I'll be far more concise this time and get to point about what I'm asking and give minimal background information.

Attempt #2:
My entire life I have been interested in space, I love every aspect of it from the philosophical implications and the wonder of it all to the nitty gritty scientific principles that govern our Universe. I've researched the topic extensively into many subcategories (Astrophysics, Radio Astronomy, Exoplanet Research, etc.) and I've been very interested in it all. I've been blessed with the intelligence to achieve excellent grades at school so I'll be able to obtain scholarships and I've been inspired by the works of Carl Sagan, Robert Zubrin, Michio Kaku, Richard Feynman, etc. Essentially, I've had the most excellent start in life that anyone could ask for and while being a complete nerd in my free time I am still able to have friends and enjoy extracurricular activities like making music and drawing.

I will be finishing Grade 12 this year in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I have been fortunate enough to have had my parents save around $20,000 for my education; I intend on staying in my hometown to save money on residence or international tuition (although I would love to go elsewhere for the experience). At the University of Calgary there is an Honours Degree program in Astrophysics that is offered (http://phas.ucalgary.ca/undergraduate/programs/astrophysics#honours) where I would also be able to complete a minor in the History and Philosophy of Science (http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/current/Arts-4-35-3.html ). I feel that an Honours degree would prepare me with more upper-division courses and actual research experience so I would be prepared for Graduate school when I have enough money (or the opportunity) to go... I am intending on getting a PhD in Astrophysics or a related field if I do well in my undergraduate. (I think the Minor will help cultivate excellent writing skills which are useful in research papers and just for general interest and understanding of historical and cultural contexts).

My Primary Concerns for Human Civilization:
-The colonization and eventual terraformation of Mars and in general the prevalence of unmanned and manned space exploration
-Furthering scientific knowledge the Universe through Astronomy, Physics, Exoplanet Research, Planetary Science, etc.
-Increasing the general public's scientific awareness and generating interest in space so that new generations are more inspired to build upon humanities achievements thus far.

I would absolutely love to have any or all of these actualized and I was wondering if you had any advice of how I should go about helping make these a reality (and if the plan I presented above has any validity to it!).

I really appreciate any feedback and if you have gone down this path before and would be able to share any advice, please share.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your passion for space and your aspirations for making a difference in the field through your education and future career. It is great to see young individuals like yourself who are interested in pushing the boundaries of human knowledge and contributing to the advancement of our civilization.

Based on your post, it seems like you have a clear plan in mind for your education and career path. Pursuing an Honours degree in Astrophysics and a minor in History and Philosophy of Science will definitely provide you with a strong foundation for graduate studies and research in the field. My advice would be to make the most out of your undergraduate experience by taking advantage of research opportunities, internships, and networking with professors and other professionals in the field. This will not only enhance your knowledge and skills, but also open up potential opportunities for graduate studies and future career paths.

In terms of making your primary concerns for human civilization a reality, I would suggest getting involved in organizations or initiatives that align with your interests. For example, there are many organizations focused on promoting space exploration and increasing public awareness of scientific advancements. You could also consider volunteering at science centers, planetariums, or other educational facilities to share your passion and knowledge with others.

Additionally, staying current with the latest developments and breakthroughs in your field will also be crucial in contributing to the advancement of space exploration and increasing scientific awareness. Attend conferences, read scientific journals, and engage in discussions with other professionals to stay informed and involved.

Overall, I believe your plan has validity and with dedication and hard work, you can definitely make a positive impact in your chosen field. I wish you all the best in your educational journey and future endeavors.A fellow scientist.

1. What is the first step in actualizing my goals?

The first step in actualizing your goals is to clearly define what your goals are. This involves identifying what you want to achieve, why it is important to you, and setting specific and achievable targets.

2. How can I stay motivated to achieve my goals?

Staying motivated is crucial in achieving your goals. One way to do this is by regularly reminding yourself of your goals and the reasons why they are important to you. It can also be helpful to break your goals into smaller, manageable tasks and celebrate each milestone you reach.

3. Is it important to have a plan to achieve my goals?

Having a plan is essential in achieving your goals. It helps you stay organized, focused, and on track. Your plan should include specific actions, timelines, and resources needed to reach your goals.

4. How do I overcome obstacles and setbacks in achieving my goals?

Obstacles and setbacks are inevitable when working towards your goals. The key is to be resilient and adaptable. You can overcome these challenges by staying positive, seeking support from others, and learning from any mistakes or failures.

5. How can I hold myself accountable for achieving my goals?

Holding yourself accountable is crucial in achieving your goals. One way to do this is by regularly reviewing your progress and adjusting your actions as needed. It can also be helpful to share your goals with a trusted friend or mentor who can provide support and hold you accountable.