Advice on Choosing Between Civil and Mechanical Engineering

In summary, it seems like a personal decision based on what the individual wants to do with their career. The BSc+MS is less money than the BEng, but takes more time. The BSc is better for someone who wants to stay in civil engineering, while the MS is better for someone who wants to switch to mechanical engineering.
Mr. Aviator
Hello,

I am a first year Civil Engineering student.
I am not sure if I want to continue Civil or switch to Mechanical. I like them equally, both have their pros and cons. My current university offers a 5 year (150 credits) BEng program in Civil and Mechanical , another local university offers a BSc in mechanical engineering (108 credits). If I am to switch to Mechanical, which path do you advise me to go through?
Stay at my current university and do a BEng in 5 years or transfer to the other university, get a BSc in Mechanical in 3 years and continue masters.
The total tuition fees at my current university for a BEng (150 credit) is more than the BSc(107)+MS(52) at the other university. So basically, with the same price that I will pay for a BEng, I can obtain a BSc+MS. which degree is better?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like a personal decision. It depends on what you want to do with it.

Well, I really don't know the main difference and what can be done by either. Any help would me much appreciated.

If we are to compare an MS degree to a BEng, what do think would be better to achieve? which degree has better chances of employment? which one is more usable in your career?

It depends on how much time it will take, the cost etc. If that is not a factor, then obviously a Master's degree is "better" than a Bachelor's.

Well, the BEng (150 credits) will most probably take around 5 years. The BSc (108 credits) + MS(52 credits) can be done in 5-6 years as well. So time wise they both are equal. Financial wise, the BSc+MS will cost less than the BEng by around $10k.
Note: The university offering the BEng is very close to accreditation, while the other is not.
So what do you advise?

I would definitely advise doing the Master's degree instead of a BEng, if they take the same time and if the Master's degree takes less money. Even if it did not, I would advice doing the Master's.

The most important problem here is that do you want to switch to mechanical engineering, or stick with civil engineering? If you want to stay will civil, then you have no choice but to do the BEng (does any other university offer a 5 year BS + MS civil eng course). If you want to switch to mechanical, then I would advise you to do the Master's degree.

Absolutely, the problem here is the major whether to stay civil or move to mechanical. I think I'll have till mid of summer to decide.. Thank you for the advice, I'll take it into consideration.

1. What is the main difference between civil and mechanical engineering?

The main difference between civil and mechanical engineering is the focus of each discipline. Civil engineering primarily deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure and buildings, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems and devices.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both civil and mechanical engineering have strong job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the current job market and individual interests and skills. Civil engineers may find more opportunities in the construction and infrastructure industries, while mechanical engineers may have more options in manufacturing and technology fields.

3. Which field offers higher salaries?

The average salary for both civil and mechanical engineers is similar, but it can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and job title. Generally, mechanical engineers may have the potential for higher salaries due to their involvement in the development of new technologies.

4. Which field has more opportunities for advancement?

Both civil and mechanical engineering offer opportunities for career advancement. Civil engineers may have a wider range of opportunities in project management and leadership roles, while mechanical engineers may have more chances for advancement in research and development positions.

5. Can I switch between civil and mechanical engineering in my career?

It is possible to switch between civil and mechanical engineering in your career, but it may require additional education or training. Many skills and principles learned in one field can be applied to the other, but it is important to carefully consider the switch and gain the necessary knowledge and experience for the new field.