Advice toward Mastering Challenging Vector Calc Problems

• I
  • Thread starter Rippling Hysteresis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the individual is seeking recommendations to improve their conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills in vector calculus. They have a background in physics and are looking for a variety of challenging problems with solutions to expand their abilities. Suggestions include searching the internet for lecture notes and exams, exploring differential geometry, and looking at resources such as the monthly challenges and solution manuals on Physics Forums. However, it is noted that it may be difficult to find exactly what the individual is looking for due to the vast amount of resources available on the topic.
Rippling Hysteresis
TL;DR Summary
I'd like greatly improve proficiency in MV/vector calc and am seeking advice on the best path forward. I'll know I have reached my goal when I can pick up any random professor's problem set and be able to construct a plan and recognize fundamental concepts underlying the problem.
I've taken multivariable/vector calc and can do most of the basic operations and have an OK understanding of the fundamental concepts, but certainly can't "see it" like I can calc I and II. In those subjects, I often feel competent to take on any problem I come across because the concepts are strong. If relevant, I have an undergrad background in physics from years past, so have some familiarity with some of the basic applications.

What would people recommend to build up my conceptual grasp and widen the scope of problems I can jump into? For example, if I work through a particular textbook, even semi-rigorous ones like Marsden and Tromba, I can handle the majority of the problems. But when faced with a problem set I come across online from one professor or another, it's hard to jump in and attack them. I'm sure if I had sat in any individual professor's class and seen the way they've set up problems and the such I'd be able to do it, but I don't have that general competency yet without a model of an instructor's approach.

Is there a good a good set of problems that have a wide scope and a variety of situations or ways that the standard computations can be set-up, modeled, applied, etc. (and include solutions) that anyone would recommend? The goal is to have general and fluid skills so that I could develop the ability to see the path forward for any vector calc type problems, so I'm not limiting myself to one modality. I will say I'm not as interested in the real analysis/proof-based approach-- I hesitate to take that route because I don't see myself following through in a serious way for such an undertaking.

Very much excited to hear what people would recommend!

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds to me as if you should search the internet for lecture notes and exams, with or without solutions. The natural next step after vector calculus would probably be differential geometry, which is as important in physics.

fresh_42 said:
This sounds to me as if you should search the internet for lecture notes and exams, with or without solutions. The natural next step after vector calculus would probably be differential geometry, which is as important in physics.

Thanks for your reply. In past searches I have found a lot of basic problems (calculate the line integral of this function, use the divergence theorem to solve some integral, take the cross product of these vectors). Rarer finds seem to be the sets that have less obvious paths forward. I did find a decent one by Marsden, but it seemed to be pretty aligned with the approach his book takes, which I've mostly worked through.

Recently I came across a few problems from a UT course (no solutions) that were all very tough. There were often layers of complexity I'd never seen before (and thus really would question how to scale the problem and from angle to attack it) or they were very open-ended and gave little direction (you'd really have to think about which theorems to apply, such as Stokes' or something like that, and which techniques to employ).

It made me realize how superficial my skills were and that I'd like to sharpen them. I'll dig around some more, but it's tough to find a really rich set of problems like that with solutions that allow me to really push my boundaries and gain insight.

You could have a look at the five insight articles about differentiation:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/
to see where you want to go. You could as well have a look at our monthly challenges.
The problems there are not sorted and of all kind, but include some vector calculus problems, too:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/math-proof-training-camp-and-practice.296/
or jump to some solutions of older ones:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solution-manuals-for-the-math-challenges.977057/

I don't think that either of them fits exactly your needs, but I have not really an idea what you are looking for. The keyword 'vector calculus' produces so many Google hits, that I have difficulties to imagine neither of them would match your demands.

Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
You could have a look at the five insight articles about differentiation:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/
to see where you want to go. You could as well have a look at our monthly challenges.
The problems there are not sorted and of all kind, but include some vector calculus problems, too:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/math-proof-training-camp-and-practice.296/
or jump to some solutions of older ones:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/solution-manuals-for-the-math-challenges.977057/

I don't think that either of them fits exactly your needs, but I have not really an idea what you are looking for. The keyword 'vector calculus' produces so many Google hits, that I have difficulties to imagine neither of them would match your demands.

Thanks! I will check those links out. Might be cool to tackle some.

1. What is vector calculus and why is it important?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and vector fields. It is a fundamental tool for understanding and solving problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Vector calculus is important because it allows us to describe and analyze quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What are some common challenges when solving vector calculus problems?

Some common challenges when solving vector calculus problems include understanding the concepts and definitions, visualizing and manipulating vectors and vector fields, and applying the appropriate mathematical operations and techniques. Additionally, vector calculus problems can become increasingly complex and require a strong foundation in algebra and calculus.

3. How can I improve my skills in mastering challenging vector calculus problems?

To improve your skills in mastering challenging vector calculus problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and definitions. Practice regularly by solving a variety of problems, and seek help from textbooks, online resources, and peers if needed. Additionally, it can be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. What are some tips for approaching challenging vector calculus problems?

When approaching challenging vector calculus problems, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Identify the given information and what is being asked, and make a plan for how to solve the problem. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or visualize the problem in order to better understand it. Additionally, double-check your work and make sure to show all steps and calculations.

5. How can I apply vector calculus in real-world situations?

Vector calculus has many applications in real-world situations, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects, calculate forces and work, and model electromagnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics and animation, as well as in economics and finance for modeling and predicting market trends.