Solution Manuals For The Math Challenges

• Challenge
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary: This could be a useful resource for students and educators alike.In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of solution manuals for textbooks and the challenges and solutions provided by the participants. The group cannot provide solution manuals for textbooks due to copyright issues and recommends contacting the authors or publishers. However, solutions for their own exercises are available and can be accessed in a thread. The solutions may contain errors and can be used for practice or as a reference. The conversation also suggests publishing the challenges and solutions as a book or as Insight articles for educational purposes.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
We are often asked for solution manuals of various textbooks. Unfortunately we can't answer those requests, as they are either not existent, from questionable sources, or breach the copyright law. There is no other way than to contact the author or publisher in these cases.

The situation, however, is different for our own exercises. I will therefore upload solutions to math challenge questions from the past in this thread. They are not reviewed or even checked twice, so they will likely contain typos or errors. I also had some trouble with non English letters or accents. I hope I have found them all, but I'm not sure. I have only solutions to my own contributions and they are ordered top bottom, i.e. the oldest at the end. Nevertheless those files can be useful for practicing, curiosity, or just fun. The main advantage is, that it is easier to find the solutions than it is to read the corresponding threads, where some solutions are spread over several pages and dialogues.

I will keep this thread open in case somebody wants to post errors they have found, so I can update the files and we have an errata. Probably not for typos or little errors, but from time to time.

Enjoy! And for further practicing science, have a look at our Insights!

Current List:
05/18 - 12/18
01/19 - 06/19
07/19 - 12/19
01/20 - 06/20
07/20 - 12/20
01/21 - 06/21
07/21 - 12/21
------------
Problems And Solutions (complete) 533 pages

Attachments

• Challenges 05.18 - 12.18.pdf
    534.4 KB · Views: 600
  • Challenges 01.19 - 06.19.pdf
    514.3 KB · Views: 424
  • Challenges 07.19 - 12.19.pdf
    421.1 KB · Views: 434
  • Challenges 01.20 - 06.20.pdf
    400.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Challenges 07.20 - 12.20.pdf
    518.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Challenges 01.21 - 06.21.pdf
    615.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Challenges 07.21 - 12.21.pdf
    595.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Problems And Solutionds (complete).pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21, Janosh89, odd_even and 7 others
Physics news on Phys.org
You know these challenges could be made into a book or two one with the challenges plus and one with the best solutions/alternate solutions.

Likes Adesh and YoungPhysicist
jedishrfu said:
You know these challenges could be made into a book or two one with the challenges plus and one with the best solutions/alternate solutions.
I think they are too colourful. From tricky to easy, and even merely notational, or just fun you can find all kinds of problems. I even kept last year's christmas quiz and facts.

Oh well, there was an interesting Dover publication called How to Solve Applied Mathematics Problems by Irish mathematician BL Moiseiwitsch. It was a little above my head but it showed how to solve a variety of applied math problems. In some cases, I didn't grasp why he started out with some identity or theorem and then solved as I would never have thought to begin that way.

Anyway, perhaps you could choose the ten most interesting challenges to write about and become a world renowned author like Dan Brown.

Likes Wrichik Basu
jedishrfu said:
Another option is to publish these (questions, answers and links to the corresponding threads) as Insight articles and compile them into a separate category.

Likes jedishrfu