Aerospace Engineering Projects for Final Year Student

In summary, the person is a student of aerospace engineering and is seeking ideas for exciting projects involving designing, controls, and fabrication for their final year project. They mention the possibility of a human powered helicopter, which has a prize of $250,000 if it can hover for one minute and reach 3 meters. They also mention checking threads on this topic on a forum and a post by another user with ideas. The conversation also includes a discussion on whether using stored energy would meet the rules for the human powered helicopter competition.
ubaid07
hey guyz
i am a student of aerospace engineering(6th smester). now i have to choose my final year project. can anyone give me ideas of some exciting aerospace engineering projects which involve designing, controls and febrication.
m waitng for ur reply...

Physics news on Phys.org
The human powered helicopter is worth 250,000$ if you can hover for
one minute and reach 3 meters. That would pay your student loans ;)
See the threads in this forum on human powered helicopter
before you start.

HarryA said:
The human powered helicopter is worth 250,000$ if you can hover for
one minute and reach 3 meters. That would pay your student loans ;)
See the threads in this forum on human powered helicopter
before you start.

If you can figure out how to do it using bamboo, paper, and bailing wire, you'd probably win a Nobel prize, too.

I've seriously thought about entering, but my machine would have the humans pedaling for several minutes winding a spring which would then provide for a one-minute flight. Would that meet the rules?

No; stored energy is not allowed. F. W. McCooey in his book "Human Powered
Helicopter Design" calculated it would require just over one hp for flight. Humans
can not do that.

Related to Aerospace Engineering Projects for Final Year Student

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technologies. It combines principles from both mechanical and electrical engineering, as well as materials science and aerodynamics.

2. What are some examples of aerospace engineering projects for final year students?

Some examples of aerospace engineering projects for final year students include designing and building a small-scale aircraft or spacecraft, developing a new propulsion system, creating a remote-controlled drone, or designing a satellite for a specific purpose. These projects often involve both theoretical research and practical experimentation.

3. What skills are required for a successful aerospace engineering project?

Successful aerospace engineering projects require a combination of technical and problem-solving skills. These include a strong understanding of math and physics, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with others on a project.

4. How long does it typically take to complete an aerospace engineering project?

The timeline for completing an aerospace engineering project can vary depending on the scope and complexity of the project. In general, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more to complete a final year project. It is important to plan and manage your time effectively to ensure that the project is completed within the given timeframe.

5. How can I showcase my aerospace engineering project to potential employers?

There are several ways to showcase your aerospace engineering project to potential employers. You can include it in your resume or portfolio, create a detailed report or presentation summarizing your project and its findings, or participate in a student engineering competition. You can also highlight any skills or knowledge gained from the project during job interviews or networking events.