Afraid to Manipulate Complex Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the complexities of working with complex numbers and the need to be cautious when manipulating expressions that are intuitively obvious for real numbers. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding definitions and provides examples of how definitions can help in solving problems involving complex numbers.
nonequilibrium
Hello. I'm currently following a course in Complex Analysis, but I'm often afraid of manipulating certain expressions. It is well known that certain "intuitively obvious" actions which are true for real numbers are not true for complex numbers, a simple one being [tex]\sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1} \neq \sqrt {(-1)(-1)}[/tex] and many others; there are quite some sites that warn you for these traps, but I can't seem to find any site which then tells me what is allowed. For example, instead of just saying "[tex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}[/tex] does not necessarily equal [tex]\sqrt{ab}[/tex]", I'd also like the site to say "but what stays true is that [tex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \pm \sqrt{ab}[/tex]". For example, something I'm wondering about: I know [tex](a^x)^y = a^{xy}[/tex] is not generally true anymore, but in what cases can I still do it anyway?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's hard to memorize what you can and can't do like that, so instead just remember definitions, definitions, definitions! [itex] x^y = \exp \left( y \log x \right) [/itex]

[tex] a^{xy} = \exp \left( xy \log a \right) [/tex]
[tex] (a^x)^y = \left( \exp \left(x \log a \right) \right)^y = \exp \left( y \log \left( \exp \left(x \log a \right) \right) \right) [/tex].

So the 2nd matches the first if we address whether [tex] \log (\exp z) = z [/tex] where [itex] z = x \log a [/itex]. The subtleties of the complex logarithim and how it behaves with the exponential function is described very here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm . Using the definitions we can always reduce problems like the one here to one of the basic questions about complex logs, which that article informs you about.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the square root of -1.

2. Why are people afraid to manipulate complex numbers?

Many people are afraid to manipulate complex numbers because they seem more complicated than real numbers. The addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers follow different rules than those of real numbers, which can make them seem intimidating.

3. How are complex numbers used in science?

Complex numbers are used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving electricity and magnetism, as well as in analyzing oscillations and waves.

4. What are some common operations with complex numbers?

Some common operations with complex numbers include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and finding the absolute value. Other operations include finding the complex conjugate, which involves changing the sign of the imaginary component, and finding the complex modulus, which is the distance from the origin on the complex plane.

5. How can I become more comfortable with manipulating complex numbers?

The best way to become more comfortable with manipulating complex numbers is to practice. Start by reviewing the basic operations and their rules, and then move on to more complex problems. Also, familiarize yourself with the properties of complex numbers, such as the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as these can make manipulating them easier. Additionally, using visual aids, such as the complex plane, can help with understanding and visualizing operations with complex numbers.