Age, possibilities and work demand

• Thread starter pablo.93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Work
In summary, Pablo Bähler, a 20-year-old from Argentina, is planning to move to Switzerland to restart his bachelor's degree in physics at the University of Zurich. He is concerned about starting at the age of 21, but believes the quality of education and living in Switzerland will be worth it. He also wonders about alternative career options for physicists and asks for advice on preparing for the ECUS exam. The expert reassures him that he is not too old to start and shares personal experience starting a PhD at 28.
pablo.93
hello, my name is pablo bähler, i live in argentina right now, I am in the second year of a bachelor in physics but i am planning to move to switzerland, learn german and restart the bachelor in physics.

i am 20 years old right now, and by the time i start the bachelor in physics in the university of zurich i will be 21, i know i might sound strange. but do you think that 21 is too old to start a bachelor or is it ok? i plan to do a ms and a phd also...

also. life in switzerland is MUCH better than here in argentina and the university of zurich is much better also. (at least according to qs rank, but hey, its switzerland, everything is good there)

but i have all my friends here, and my girlfriend. but i really dream about living there. and i did some research and i can get a grant and the financial department of the university was very undersanding and positive.

do you have any experience in doing something like these?

what would you do?

also, apart from research(its my ideal job) are there any physicists that work for factories of maybe for the goverment? what's the alternative job of a physicist?

thanks in advance,

pablo

ps: has anyone done the ECUS exam? its for swiss universities. i need to know how you prepared yourself for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not too old. I am 28 and will be starting my PhD this Fall in physics.

i know that this is a faq. but i need advice! its really a big step for me.

thanks for your answer!^^

Not too old in the slightest bit, not even a little bit too old. You're just slightly above average.

Do you have to start from scratch? Can you not transfer two years of credits and start your swiss course in the second/third year?

1. What is the average retirement age?

The average retirement age varies depending on the country and industry. In the United States, the average retirement age is 62, but some individuals choose to retire earlier or later depending on their personal circumstances.

2. How does age affect job opportunities?

Age can impact job opportunities in various ways. Older workers may face age discrimination in the hiring process, while younger workers may struggle to find employment due to lack of experience. However, age can also bring valuable skills and experience to the workforce.

3. What are the challenges of an aging workforce?

As the workforce continues to age, there are challenges that employers may face. These include managing retirement and succession planning, addressing age-related health issues, and ensuring diversity and inclusivity in the workplace.

4. How can employers support employees of different ages?

Employers can support employees of different ages by promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace, providing opportunities for training and career development, and implementing flexible work arrangements to accommodate different needs and lifestyles.

5. How can older workers stay competitive in the job market?

Older workers can stay competitive in the job market by continually updating their skills and knowledge, networking with others in their industry, and showcasing their experience and expertise. It can also be helpful to seek out employers who value and prioritize a diverse and multigenerational workforce.