Air cooled coil electromagnet ?

In summary, a coil electromagnet designed to produce a 4000 Gauss magnetic field can be air cooled using a fan or compressed air.
kroovstein
Air cooled coil electromagnet ?

Hi. I'm a (very) Junior researcher

I'm trying to biuld a solenoid electromagnet (air bore, not metal), But I need it in a specific size and most important I have to have it AIR COOLED (by fan or compressed air).

Does anybody know if such an electromagnet will be able to produce a 4000 Gauss magnetic field?

I am able to use either a high voltage or a strong current. I have some very serious lab equipment.

Where can I get Information about this kind of stuff?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is some low cost design software available. I can't recommend any of it, but you can Google. But I see 2 points which raise doubts: (1) You say specific size. Do you mean small (implying small diameter wire)?; and, (2) the requirement for air cooled. Why? Is this 100% duty cycle?

I'm assuming the 4 kG is inside and you want it uniform. Is that right? How big a uniform volume?

4 kG is a piece of cake, but I might not be able to carry it.

Thanks.

First - about the uniformity, I need the chamber to be 4cm in diameter and the coil should be 60cm long (or two coils of 30cm each with a slit between them), so this will provide me with a certain uniformity that I believe is satisfactory for my needs. (the length is >> than the chamber radius)
I can use relatively large radius wire and less turns or viced versa, whichever will give me better cooling.

second - the requirement for air cooling comes from above. we have a "Helmholz coil" system which works fine but is very inconvenient probably because of it's size and power consumption. anyway it's an order from above and I just have to tell them wether it's possible or not.

Thanks again for your answer.

1. What is an air cooled coil electromagnet?

An air cooled coil electromagnet is a type of electromagnet that uses air as the cooling medium. This means that the coil is designed in such a way that air can flow through it, dissipating heat and keeping the electromagnet from overheating.

2. How does an air cooled coil electromagnet work?

An air cooled coil electromagnet works by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The electric current creates a magnetic field, which can be increased or decreased by adjusting the amount of current. As the magnetic field is generated, the air flowing through the coil helps to cool it down, allowing it to operate at higher currents without overheating.

3. What are the advantages of using an air cooled coil electromagnet?

The main advantage of using an air cooled coil electromagnet is its ability to handle high currents without overheating. This makes it ideal for applications where a strong magnetic field is required, such as in medical equipment, particle accelerators, and industrial machinery. Additionally, air cooled coil electromagnets are relatively easy to design and manufacture, making them cost-effective compared to other cooling methods.

4. What are the limitations of air cooled coil electromagnets?

One limitation of air cooled coil electromagnets is that they may not be suitable for applications where a constant and precise magnetic field is required. The cooling air flow can cause fluctuations in the magnetic field, which may not be desirable in certain situations. Additionally, air cooled coil electromagnets may not be suitable for very high-temperature environments, as the cooling air may not be able to dissipate enough heat to prevent overheating.

5. How are air cooled coil electromagnets designed and manufactured?

Air cooled coil electromagnets are typically designed using computer-aided design (CAD) software and manufactured using specialized machinery. The design process involves determining the required magnetic field strength, size and shape of the coil, and the optimal air flow rate for cooling. The coils are then wound using high-quality conductive wire and assembled with other components, such as a core and casing, to create a functional electromagnet. Quality control measures are also taken during the manufacturing process to ensure the electromagnet meets performance and safety standards.